Dairy Sheep can be a self sufficient wanna-be's dream come true

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cows and goats usually get all the attention when milking animals are discussed. But learn how dairy sheep can be an attractive, low-capital alternative for your hobby farm.
Read more here: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/dairy-sheep-14911.aspx
*Sheeps milk keeps well, and unlike goats or cows milk, it can be stored frozen without any loss of quality. Small dairies can collect and freeze it until they have enough to process or transport to a plant, and processors may pick up milk from small producers just once a month.
This was music to my ears. I can freeze it!!

*Sheeps milk, like goats milk, has a higher percentage of small fat globules than cows milk, making it easier to digest. Non-casein protein is twice that of cow or goat milk, which also enhances digestibility. Sheeps milk is pure white and rich tasting, and since it is higher in fat and protein than cow or goat milk, it has a sweeter taste. Sheeps milk is naturally very thickmost sheep milk is turned into cheese or yogurt, but it also makes a creamy, rich ice cream*. Cheese made from sheeps milk is creamier and ages more mildly than goats or cows milk cheese, and has its own special flavor, texture and aroma.
*(Drake are you listening?) ;)

*Many hobby-farm families have a few sheep, and milking them could provide additional income if a local market for the milk exists. Sheep thrive on marginal land with minimal feed supplements, and can provide a triple income from wool, meat and milk. A few families do it all themselvesmilking the sheep, making the cheese and marketing itbut others simply sell milk to a processor.

*The amount of milk produced by sheep, compared to milk cows, is small, but sheep dairying takes less investment, and sheeps milk sells for five times more than cows milk. For sheep producers who want to process their own milk or find a market for it, sheep dairying can be a way to increase the income from the flock.

*Sheep dairying is an important enterprise in many European, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. There are more than 50 varieties of cheese, as well as various types of yogurt, ice cream and butter, made from sheep milk.

*In France, Roquefort cheese is made from the milk of about one million Lacaune ewes, producing 16,000 tons of cheese annually. In Greece, 560,000 tons of ewes milk is produced each year and made into yogurt, many cheeses (including Feta) and about 4,000 tons of butter. Sheep cheeses from Italy include the hard Pecorino, and the light, fresh Ricotta. Manchego is Spains main sheep cheese.
Plus you can make sweaters out of them! :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We bought some sheep's milk cheese not too long ago....everyone freaked when they read the label :rolleyes:

It did have an *different* taste, not bad at all, just a little unique.

So is your new baby growing yet? Are you still sleeping with it???? :lol:

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is it me or is it weird that in the article it mentions that crosses produced more milk (normally) than pure-breds? Wouldn't you think that it would be an indicator that there is potential for creating a new breed?

I've been contemplating dairy sheep. One day when I have acreage I'll be able to do more research into it. Until then, dreams here I come.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:
We bought some sheep's milk cheese not too long ago....everyone freaked when they read the label :rolleyes:

It did have an *different* taste, not bad at all, just a little unique.

So is your new baby growing yet? Are you still sleeping with it???? :lol:
I did the same Dh and I both loved it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
Are you still sleeping with it???? :lol:
:hide maybe :hide

He is right here sleeping next to my chair. :) I have to take breaks from my outdoor chores so he can have his quiet naps during the day...it is tough being just 4 days old! :p

Now as some of you have read, I'm getting an 80% East Friesian ewe lamb this weekend. I have been doing tons of on line research on E. F. sheep.

Did you know that even if you had a ewe sheep that was only 25% E.F. it would still make up to 50% more milk than any other sheep? E.Fs are the holsteins of the sheep breeds. Imagine crossing a E.F with a meat breed, talk about dual purpose!

http://www.auderersheep.com/Friesian.htm

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
how much space do they need? maybe my aunt needs sheep for christmas this year.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
Is it me or is it weird that in the article it mentions that crosses produced more milk (normally) than pure-breds? Wouldn't you think that it would be an indicator that there is potential for creating a new breed?

I've been contemplating dairy sheep. One day when I have acreage I'll be able to do more research into it. Until then, dreams here I come.
Most of the E. Friesians here are crosses. My little ram lamb is 40% E. Friesian, 10% Polypal and 50% Icelandic. I was worried he didn't carry enough of the E. Friesian in him, but after reading the article I listed above, I shouldn't worry.

They cross them to make them more hardy to this region.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:frow
I have a question.....

Why buy a ram when you can have your girl, um, *serviced* and not have the responsibility of him year round?

Not knocking you, just curious!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They'd definitely have to cross them for here too, I'd wager. The weather goes from 30's in winter to 90's and above in summer. Throw in snow, high winds, droughts and it's a mess. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Colorado but it's a little wonky here sometimes.