Dairy Sheep can be a self sufficient wanna-be's dream come true

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
abifae said:
how much space do they need? maybe my aunt needs sheep for christmas this year.
I have a fenced off acre for my back yard. 1/3 of it is part of the forest. 2/3 is grass minus the chicken coop, garden and pig pen. Right now I have two big adult sheep workin on the grass and they can't keep up. They barely kept up with the grass during the winter months too.

In the winter sheep may need some supplemental hay etc. depending on where you live. I didn't. Mine do get daily handfuls (just handfuls) of the horse's hay b/c it comes from selenium rich soil. The only reason I feed it is so they can get their selenium.

Dace to answer your question...

1. Most folks want to keep a "closed herd" around here. Meaning they don't want to risk any outside diseases. (Bio security)

2. I have a Honda Civic and I don't think an in season 150# sheep can fit in the back seat very well. :p

3. Nobody within my county or the county over has dairy sheep. I had to drive up into the foothills to find Oliver.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Since I have never been around sheep I have questions.

The article says sheeps milk is sweeter but also says its thicker.
It mentions cheese and ice cream as products from the milk.

Can you drink the milk just like any other milk? Do you need to water it down to make it less thick?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Aiden,

I have a Border Cheviot too. She is a very hardy breed and can withstand more extreme temps. Her wool is pretty weather resistant too compared to most breeds.

And she is considered dual purpose, meaning she is bred for meat, wool and milk.

The reason I went with getting a new E Friesian ewe is b/c Dolly (the Border Cheviot) isn't the tamest sheep and she is HUGE. I didn't think I would have much success in milking her. (I got her as adult, it would have been more ideal if I had gotten her as a baby.)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
2dream said:
Since I have never been around sheep I have questions.

The article says sheeps milk is sweeter but also says its thicker.
It mentions cheese and ice cream as products from the milk.

Can you drink the milk just like any other milk? Do you need to water it down to make it less thick?
Well, the breeder that I spoke to says they drink it straight up. Miss_the_north is miking sheep right now. Hopefully she will log on and let us know.

My book doesn't say anything about watering it down. The sheep milk that was sent home for Oliver to drink looks just like regular milk.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Cool thanks....I was just curious. I can't see me ever getting sheep but it is always good to understand a little bit about it....you just never know what will land on your lap (or in your yard)! :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
*(Drake are you listening?) ;)
I sat straight up when I heard that! I SCREAM, YOU, SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM! :weee ;) Now I have to read this long thread and see what other pertinent information I can glean from it. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I thought I could get your attention Drake! :D

Dace, this time last year I NEVER thought about drinking raw milk let alone owning my own dairy animals!! It is all SS's fault!! :lol:

The only problem is that dairy sheep havn't really caught on yet here in the states, so they can be hard to find.

Oh, one thing I have mentioned in the past... When I had Dolly (the border Cheviot) shaved I put her fleece on craigslist listing it as free. I got about 10 calls right away for it.

I was shocked b/c her wool was dirty :sick (previous owner's fault) and the Border Cheviots are not the premium fleece sheep either. It was still a hot commodity.

Starting this year I'm selling it and any of the fleece from Oliver (the Icelandic cross) so I can start earning money for carders and one day a spinner!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh. (I'm still new to this so forgive my crude explanation...) Carders (there are two) are like large, flat wooden brushes with short wire bristles. You use them to comb out the fleece to get it ready to be spun. They also help clean out the little bits of hay or whatever may still be in the fleece.

Tortoise told me she uses dog slicker brushes to comb out her angora rabbits hair. Carders are basically the same thing except bigger.

ETA: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Card-Wool-Fiber

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey that looks really cool! I think I have been missing out on something all these years....I have a sheltie and he sheds like the dickens.
I should be using a carder to clean up his hair and then I could make the family, er, the In Laws, sweaters for Christmas!

See, I learn some thing new everyday! :woot

Sweaters for all!!!!