damn coyotes

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it that much, unless, of course you get an increase of moose in NC ;)

I know the donkey we had would attack us if the dog was with, but that's probably because the dog always HID behind us. And the fact that the donkey would attack us anyway.. So never mind.

I've been meaning to ask, did you ever get those stray feral mutts taken care of?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol not too worried about the moose in NC right now lol

no darn it
didn't get those dogs yet

for 2 weeks I hung out beef liver on giant hooks like a trout line and no takers darn it I sure wanted to hook and shoot

haven't seen them so I can't get them right now

locking my goat herd up in triple fort know situation at night and so far so good going to add about another 1/2 acre fort knox fencing to this pasture and see if it is ok to lock them up in that and they survive

just a pain to have to defend against nature oh well, we all gotta do it lol

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
We have two pit bulls, so I feel relatively safe with them. A pack of coyotes killed a 19 year old woman hiking last fall, a few hours from our house, so hubby doesn't let me walk in the woods alone without both our dogs.

I like hearing them, when I'm nice and safe in the house and I know the chickens are locked up tight... not so much if I'm a few miles from home in the woods.
:ep

Seriously??? I have never heard of coyotes attacking people. Coy-dogs maybe but ... Wow. I've never been afraid of them for myself. Eerie-sounding but skittish creatures.

Wow.

Used to be a mountain lion where I used to live that was stalking people, but even the bears generally would be safe as long as you give them the chance to avoid you. I never gave the coyotes a thought when hiking in the mountains.

Wow.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do remember in another thread a 19 year old gal was killed by yotes while walking.

any wild animal under the right circumstances can nail ya UGH

sure is a wild nature out there

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I didn't worry so much about coyotes and bears when living in a very rural area. They were very wary of people and would melt away into the brush at the sight or sound of a human.

In the suburbs, where I live now, coyotes and bears scare me. They have NO fear of humans and will come right up to the houses.

I was chased a short distance (didn't feel short when it happened) by coyotes at dusk one day. Got to feel the power that adrenaline gives ya.

I also chased a coyote off my land one rainy Sunday afternoon as it was looking through my fence at my yummy goats. It held its ground, and held my angry gaze, as I ran straight at it waving my arms and a pitchfork and screaming my head off. It disappeared only when I was in jabbing distance with my sharp hay fork.

Several friends have had similar experiences. One vet's wife lost her Jack Russell as she was walking it. A coyote dashed out and grabbed it right in front of her. She never found it and was quite traumatized. That was in the very next town to where I live, probably relatives to "my" coyotes.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I haven't heard them much this year at all.
However my hubby was called out to a fire on Friday evening, I heard on the pager they were headed north of us and I was outside with the kids riding bikes up and down the drive and I heard that yip yipping start up and a few howls thrown in, same direction as the grass fire.

My hubby didn't see or hear them, but I bet the fire made them nervous.