Damummis'- Auf wiedersehen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the site. That's the direction I wanted to head in originally for our yard. I really enjoyed the video. I'm going to do more research into forest gardening.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
It is amazing how fast the time flies when the days are good for outside work.

Over the weekend we got half of the new garden tilled. It looks amazing. All the llama poo has really paid off. We finished the other half today.

Planting time.................

Today it was the grapes from Miller's and potatoes - Dk Norlands, Kennebecs, Yukon Golds and Pontiac Reds. Threw some flower seeds in while I was at it. We still have 2 weeks till last frost date so I really can't get ahead of myself too much.

We also dredged out the pond area some for fill. The wild N. American Black ducks are really digging it there. I plopped some day lilies and flag irises along with some bee balm along the wall DH is making around the pond. They don't seemed bummed to be moved.

This week is going to be a finish up the projects week. My time will be cut in half for the next 6 weeks. I have been recruited to cook school lunch at the little island school here. The lunch lady who has been cooking is getting a knee replaced. She has been the lunch lady for 54 years. The kids have asked that I DO NOT make chicken nuggets and tatter tots. They are sick of them. I have about 30-40 kids to cook for so it isn't too bad.

Well the shower has stopped and the sun is back out so back to the grind stone I go.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oooo, an island school, sounds neat! Where abouts do you live?

We have islands here and I love them!! I live on a peninsula amidst a few islands.

What are you planning to make for all those kiddos?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I live on an island in Maine. It is a great place and the school is like a family school. The teachers and principal have given me carte blanche to make what ever I want. I am trying to mix it up a little for the kids and staff. I know that next week will be
Mon- Homemade pizza
Tues- French Toast Sticks
Wed- Turkey with all fixings
Thurs- Mac & Cheese with Ham (Homemade)
Fri- Turkey Rice soup & grilled cheese.

I am limited with the ingredients to what the school system provides but I can guarantee that I will not have the same thing twice. Unless asked.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
It has been an early spring. I will not complain. ;) Right now it is pouring and sunny at the same time. Welcome to April in Maine. Don't like the weather wait 10 minutes.

If anyone has lunch menu ideas, speak up.............

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am green with envy here!! I so want to live in the country!! We are a little less than a mile from some nice rural areas here in Tucson. But, if I had my druthers, I'd be in a cooler climate, one that gets decent rainfall!

Your hard work is paying off, it looks great!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
How strict are they as far as food guidelines go?
The Staff will indulge me. ;)

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Last night I decided to put on a documentary about GMO food in a ploy to get my DH to allow me to get more chickens. Well, after watching it I get the response..........."I'd rather have turkeys than meat birds" Huh?? I said craning my head like a dog that has been asked if it wanted to go out. What? Did I hear that right? Turkeys?? Then he says, "we might want to think about goats for milk and maybe a pig too for meat." Huh? Huh? I said in a Tim Allen man groan. For real?? "First I think we fire up the tractor and dig up another garden." Holy Cow!! My head is swimming with the possibilities. Then he looks at me and laughs saying "You look like a little girl who's dad just said she could get a pony." Well, YA, darn tooting. I am overwhelmed to say the least. Now............What kind of turkeys???? BYC here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts