Damummis'- Auf wiedersehen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Today I found my rocks and took DD#1 for her first driving lesson. She has taken drivers ed and she has driven my DH's car but today I took her in MY standard Honda Accord. That's right, I am teaching her to drive standard. I can't believe I did it and kept cool, calm and collected. She did fairly well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At least it's an Accord! My dad tried to teach me standard in my mom's little convertible Datsun 2000 with a racing clutch ( suffice it to say it was NOT your average commuter car). It had the tach right in front, with the speedometer over to the right of it, so of course, I wasn't paying attention to the speed- just shifting up whenever the RPM's got high enough. Pretty soon I'm racing down the roads of Chino, CA (this was in the 70's- very bucolic back then) in 5th gear- when I saw a sign up ahead that said "SLOW - DIP AHEAD". My right foot obediently went over to the brake from the gas pedal, but my left foot had been tucked back by the seat and when I brought it out, I had trouble finding the clutch. Now, my father had explained to me that anytime I was going to brake, I should depress the clutch as well- but he didn't really explain WHY... I thought the brake wouldn't work if you didn't have the clutch engaged; so I didn't bother to brake. We hit that dip at 75 miles an hour and my dad's head nearly went through the soft roof. I managed to find the clutch at that point, and braked to a stop by the side of the road. My father, white-faced and shaky, made me get into the passenger seat and drove us home. I was never allowed behind the wheel of that particular car again.... :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I hate teaching kids to drive, especially MY kids in MY car. :barnie

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
God bless you and give you courage!

D1 took hubby on a ride when learning. She backed out of a driveway across a busy highway. When she was supposed to step on the brakes she - instead - stomped on the GAS! She shot across the busy highway, down the ditch on the opposite side of the street and slammed into a rock projection where the highway was cut down. When they made it home in my sad little FULL sized Jeep Wagoner, you could put your fist into the crack between the door and the frame with the door shut.

D2 firmly impressed my hubby with her driving ability. Each turn involved several curbs. Backing up took three days of nothing but driving backwards in an empty park parking lot. Pretty much each trip added to hubby's grey head. Especially the time she parallel parked the car in front of our house ... at about 35 miles an hour OVER the CURB and ACROSS THE SIDEWALK (!!) barely leaving room between the car door and the STONE wall for my hubby to get out.

By the time the GEEK son was ready to learn to drive, we were all frankly terrified to give him the chance. Fact is he has always been and excellent driver. ;) :lol:

So... God love you and happy driving.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I was a disaster learning to drive lol. Autistics just shouldn't even be allowed.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Oh, it is gonna be one of THOSE days. :lol:

First thing this morning the local school called. "Hi, A? It's E. The new 5/6th grade teacher is doing an anatomy class and she was wondering if she could get her hands on some chicken feet." "Chicken feet?" "Yes. Starts laughing. I know this is very odd, but I KNOW you kill your own chickens. She is on a part about tendons and ligaments and the best way, she says to show what she is talking about is with chicken feet." "Sure, why not. I have a few chickens about ready for camp, when does she want them?" "When you get a chance." Chatted for a while and said our goodbyes.

It is not everyday you get a request for chicken feet.

On the home front, DH and I are going thru every box in the attic. If we don't use it, need it or see a future use for it it will be rehomed. It is time to buckle down and get serious about consolidating our lives to a smaller box. If we are going to go off grid we need to start here with downsizing. Boy, the thrift shop will make out like bandits. :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:p

I have gotten those same requests! Of course I worked in the school system for a lot of years.

Who do they come to when they need any animal part - me. I was asked for a cow heart (sure I have one right out in the car! :gig), chicken feet, embryonic eggs, baby chicks, tadpoles, frogs, pond scum (remember I live in the city), and lots of other things.

WARNING: Once you deliver those chicken feet you will become the go to girl for science parts! :ep :lol:

Seriously I think it is great that you are willing to help the teacher teach her students. I wish there were more out there just like you! :thumbsup

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Here is another tid-bit from the day.

Remember this egg....
1044_thelma_food_001.jpg

Well, I gave it to a woman who does these amazing Ukrainian painted eggs. She stopped by today to drop off some containers for my lotion bars. While she was here she told me that she went to blow out the egg and you would never guess what is inside. Another egg. :ep Crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts