Dandelion salve

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have an abundance of dandelions in my yard (that I'm trying to get rid of without spraying) so I figured I would do some research and see what I can use them for. In my surch I came across dandelion salve and found out that it helps heal dry skin. So I figured i would try it.
First I picked a bunch of dandelions and put them on a cookie sheet lined with a paper towle to dry.
0511191125.jpg
Like I said we have a lot of dandelions
0511191128.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, what do you do now to make the salve? Looks like you have plenty of them !:rolleyes:

My goats eat most of mine. :D

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You need to make a dandelion oil:
To make dandelion oil
, fill a canning jar about half-way with dried dandelion flowers. Cover with about twice as much as your favorite carrier oil, or to the top of the jar. (Suggested oils include sunflower, olive, sweet almond, apricot kernel, avocado, hemp and so forth.)

For a quick infusion: Set the uncovered jar down into a small saucepan filled with a few inches of water. Heat over a low burner for a few hours, keeping a close eye that the water doesn’t evaporate out. Remove from heat and strain. The quick infusion is the best way to infuse coconut oil.

For a slower, more traditional infusion: Cap the jar of dried dandelion flowers and oil and tuck away in a cabinet for around 4 to 6 weeks, shaking occasionally as you remember to. When the infusing time has passed, strain.

For an alternative option: You could also set the jar of dandelion flowers and oil in a sunny windowsill for several days to a week to jump start the infusion. (Don’t store for long periods in sunlight though, as it tends to fade flowers and herbs over time.)
How to Make Dandelion Salve
  • 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of dandelion infused oil
  • 0.5 ounces (15 grams) of beeswax pastilles
  1. Add the oil and beeswax pastilles into a heat proof container.
  2. Set it gently into a pan containing several inches of water (just like we used when we infused our dandelion oil.)
  3. Gently bring the temperature up to medium-lowish heat and let the container stay in the makeshift double boiler until the wax is melted.
  4. Remove from heat and carefully pour into tins or jars then let sit until firm.
This recipe makes about four ounces of salve. One batch filled two of the 2 ounce glass jars with a tiny bit leftover.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're past the dandelion stage for the year but thanks for the detailed instructions @rodeogirl! I'd like to try this next spring.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have comfrey and calendula sitting in a jar of oil right now waiting to make Mom some lotion. I may use some for the salve that she's also ordered from me.

Salves are much easier and longer lasting than lotions. Adding water means it needs preservatives.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really like the dandelion salve idea. Thanks for posting the recipe. We moved 4 years ago and I spread seeds, but don't have enough to do anything with yet. In the pastures, the sheep eat them. Guess I'll have to transplant some to the garden to protect them LOL

I am kinda partial to dandelions...….

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/dandelion-wine.15409/

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/dandelion-jelly-recipe.13496/

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/dandelions-not-a-weed-i-made-tea-pg-3.13173/

Just for fun, a recipe for blueberry cordial.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/blueberry-cordial-liqueur-update-post-29.13765/

Latest posts