David Ramseys Finance Univerisity has anyone take it here

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenjoe said:
I'm looking to to taking this his course. I want to know if any one else here has done it and what you thought of it. It $75.00 near me and $99 online.
It depends on why you are looking at taking his course. Both my SO and I took his online course because we were court ordered to :D . Technically we were court ordered to take any course in this area because we were each filing bankruptcies, but I took his first and enjoyed it so SO took it as well. The online course was only $75 i think? but that was a couple years ago. Now I do my best to intentionally keep my credit score low so I won't get into financial problems :) every so often I apply for a store charge card or try to get a small loan or something, something that when they check my credit score adds an additional ding to my credit score :D It probably sounds insane but it will in the long run keep us out of trouble and force us to rely on our resources :)

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Start by listening to his radio show. Then check out his book "total money makeover". If you need more after that THEN pay for the seminar.
I agree- he really makes alot of sense and you don't need to plunk down seminar money. borrow his books thru the library or ask around - somebody is bound to have it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If you are going to wind up spending money, the ONLY product I recommend, is join the forum. There are people over there who have been working the "total money makeover" and crawling out of debt for a few years that are seasoned veterans of the plan. They help immensely with any questions! The first month is free, then it is 9.95 a month afterwards, or 89.95 yearly. It is worth the money in the long run, because like with everything else...it helps a great deal to have a support group. There are a lot of great folks on that forum as well. I used it for a year or so, until we got out of debt...well all but the house, and then I quit paying for their advice :lol: It really did help though with accountability and sticking to the plan through certain frustrations and bumps in the road. Anything I went through while on the plan myself, there was always someone in the same predicament, or someone who had been and could relate and help me cope. SO, well worth the money spent. I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about some of the other products. You CAN do the entire thing with just the book too. It is clearly laid out. I hope you get as much out of the program as I did :)

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
If you are going to wind up spending money, the ONLY product I recommend, is join the forum. There are people over there who have been working the "total money makeover" and crawling out of debt for a few years that are seasoned veterans of the plan. They help immensely with any questions! The first month is free, then it is 9.95 a month afterwards, or 89.95 yearly. It is worth the money in the long run, because like with everything else...it helps a great deal to have a support group. There are a lot of great folks on that forum as well. I used it for a year or so, until we got out of debt...well all but the house, and then I quit paying for their advice :lol: It really did help though with accountability and sticking to the plan through certain frustrations and bumps in the road. Anything I went through while on the plan myself, there was always someone in the same predicament, or someone who had been and could relate and help me cope. SO, well worth the money spent. I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about some of the other products. You CAN do the entire thing with just the book too. It is clearly laid out. I hope you get as much out of the program as I did :)
Thank you for the advice I'm going to start out reading his book thee total money makeover I just won a copy on ebay for $11.00. After I get done with it, I'm going pass it on to someone else thatg needs it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
chickenjoe said:
Wannabefree said:
Thank you for the advice I'm going to start out reading his book thee total money makeover I just won a copy on ebay for $11.00. After I get done with it, I'm going pass it on to someone else thatg needs it.
Glad I could help :)

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi! I am a CPA, so I thought that I would offer my 2 cents here. Bascially, I agree with much of what DR says and think he has some great ideas. However, if your finances are a bit more complex that daily budgeting etc, he is not the best. Some of the things he is SO negative on, can be beneficial in the right situation. Not a compliant, just an FYI.

Wardogg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just joined the forum and haven't found the place to introduce myself. But this is something that is near and dear to my heart. Dave Ramsey changed my family tree. We didn't go through FPU or any of his seminars but we read the FPU book and then the TMMO book. We have been debt free for 2 years and are now on Baby Step 4-5-6. Which all run together. We write a new budget every two weeks and pay cash for everything. Including big ticket items like cars. We are teaching our children that you can start out debt free unlike so many of us out there did not. I am hoping that when I turn them loose on the world they will never owe anyone anything. Looking back on my life the amount of money I spent on interest to banks and credit cards I probably could have bought 2 houses. It actually sickens me sometimes.

At any rate I just wanted to say, we live by his principles. We are a single income family of 6. (around $60K a year) And we now live debt free thanks to Dave Ramsey. You can do it too! I look forward to meeting all of you fine people here on the forum. This looks like a great place to hang my hat for awhile if you'll have me. :D

Wardogg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Welcome Wardogg!! I am happy to hear you are debt free, I sure wish we were!!!!
Well according to Daves plan I'm debt free but the house. But we are working on that part. Thanks for the welcome, if you follow his stuff you can be too. I'm living proof it works.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh, well we have the house too, and jsut a small $5000 debt on top of that. but , three months ago, it was only the house. :p and a coupla OT shifts and that will be paid for.

I had been preaching Dave Ramsey to my hubby for a long while, asked him to read the book, asked him to go to FPU since our church was hosting it. Nada. Tehn one day he told me he was listening to Dave on the radio on his drive home from work. Things have been getting better, but I want NO debt. Not even the house.