Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds great, and you definitely have the skills to finish her training!I love Danes. My husband was attacked by one so he's a bit leery, but they're great animals (other than the one that attacked him, lol)

How are the sheep these days?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sheep are okay. We're down to 3 bottle lambs, out of 5. They're starting to gain and grow now. We usually breed yearlings, but I may move these in with the goats - away from the barn completely - during breeding season so they don't get bred accidentally. They're way, way too small.

My chickens have almost stopped laying altogether! between 20 hens, I'm getting 0 - 3 eggs per day. Maybe they're molting early. IDK. I'm happy for the break, honestly. Don't let me admit that to anyone else. :oops:

My mom came up and watched kids today. I was supposed to have a meeting but it was cancelled. So I took the childcare opportunity and took Bay to the nearest pet store and feed/farm store. She did surprisingly well for her level of exposure/training. If she can behave like that on her mobility harness (rather than microprong collar), I will be happy! She's never been trained to heel, so I was super happy with her. She's cautiously observant of novel noises in stores, but I think she's going to settle in really fast.

She's already bracing, helping me get up from the floor, and starting to elevate my legs. She's not shy of my wheelchair at all! Woot! :woot I intend to train her to help pull my wheelchair. I have a hard time on inclines and uneven surfaces because I'm a part-time wheelchair user and not nearly as strong or skilled as a full-time wheelchair user. DS11 will be happy when he doesn't have to push me. :)

My goal is that she is fully trained to legal and industry standards within 6 months. I have arranged twice-weekly training sessions, and I'll be training a lot at home. Taking it slow now while she settles in here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is so totally awesome! Helping pull the wheel chair and helping you brace when getting up are going to be a great help. What other things are you wanting her to learn? One of the best things I ever taught Gracie is to "pick it up." Anything I drop on the floor or outside she loves to help get it back in my hand. Of course, somethings I might not want dog slobber on - but it's nice that she knows the command, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Picking up dropped items and retrieving are on my list too! I get dizzy most times when I pick something up.

It's a long list. deep pressure therapy / abdominal compression are on the list. 90# pressure will displace enough pooled blood to get it moving and back to my brain. :)

Finding my medication bag by scent. I lose it all the freaking time and can get too impaired to find it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She sounds awesome and I know she will be a huge help to you. I am really happy for you that she has come into your life. Pictures would be nice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
IMG_0055.JPG

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great start! She could be just what you needed!!

Are the sheep the same breed as what you have already? Too bad they're so little still.

Latest posts