Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh noooo! Not the blueberries! I live for blueberries lol. I guess maybe they knew you needed a break, I remember the ridiculous picking you had to do last year!

Yay homeschooling starting soon! How does your DS feel about it?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS11 is a trumpet camp this week! It has been SO nice! :love I pick him up today, so my vacation is almost over.

I have my school room set up now with finishing touches like a big map on the wall and classroom calendar. DS3 can barely contain himself :love I need to set up lesson plans this weekend. I have them jotted down someplace, but I need to get them into my schedule/records.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anything you make off the garden helps to pay for the seeds and makes what you and family consume-free or at least lowers the price.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got a break before you start school! I hope it goes well for you this year!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH helped me pick the garden. He blanched for me too, so we froze 14 quarts of zoodles and about 20 pints of rice cauliflower. Each bag of riced cauliflower is worth $1.89, so that paid for itself. Broccoli is... yeah, I'm not growing broccoli again. We don't like it cooked or frozen. I will try to give the broccoli away. We picked it past-prime and it looks rather sad.

DH's new barn cat is sick. We suspect it got into rodent poison at the neighbors or maybe old stuff from the previous property owner. DH is very careful to choose baits which can't be stashed, and baits which won't hurt our cats if they eat a poisoned rodent. Or maybe there's something else wrong with him. We don't know yet. We were giving him sub-cutaneous fluids yesterday and last night, but this morning he was not absorbing those fluids and looked terrible, so DH took him to the vet clinic, got an IV in him and doctoring him up. DH said he perked up with the IV running. If I recall correctly, if he got into a different rodent poison other than the kind we use, the only treatment is supportive care, IV fluids, hope for the best. And it's usually never the best. He's a nice cat, eats ground squirrels for us, ate a nest of baby mice for me. I hope he pulls through.

DH is shopping for a hot rod. Firebird convertible, he says. I'm okay with that, mostly because then I'm justified in getting a dog. :D I have most the prep work for picking a service dog prospect dog. I'm looking for a TALL dog with sound joints, and that's apparently difficult to find. There was a litter of mixed breed puppies born last week. I think Labrador and Saint Bernard. That sounds interesting, but housetraining puppies is not in my skill set. I could do it in my old house where all I had to do was open the back door - privacy fenced potty patch out the back door. Here I have to walk a puppy away from the house. Maybe I could do it if I put a chair out in the potty area and a tie-out stake. Because standing outside holding a leash is just not going to happen.

My latest project is endmyopia.org. The author describes myopia as a refractive state rather than a disease state and has a program for reversing myopia. I'm not paying for the program and coaching, but I'm doing the things. I bought a weaker prescription. I tried this stuff a couple years ago for 2 weeks and reduced my prescription by 0.75 diopters. So I am hopeful! I just had an eye exam and bought expensive glasses before I ran across endmyopia.org again. I'm going to return the glasses since they don't fit right even after adjustment. I ordered glasses online of a lower correction -- $21 for frames, lenses, and shipping. :ep:woot. (I still have my rx contacts for driving, and previous stronger prescription glasses I could use for driving) I'm wearing reading glasses along with contacts for close up work, which leaves me with the same vision but no over-correction so my eyes don't get so much strain. Feels much better!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Very nice of DH to lend a hand! Sounds like ya'll got a LOT put away! I need to make my own cauliflower rice - but I'm lazy and buy it. Could save tons of money even if I had to purchase the cauliflower.

Oh wow - he has good taste in hotrods! What a cool car....and you need to pick an equally cool dog. ;) Labrador and St. Bernard sounds like an awesome mix, and it should be sturdy....and kinda hairy, lol.

Good look on the myopia project!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our barn cat isn't going to make it. :( His kidneys are mineralized. He's just barely alive. I checked on him at lunchtime, cuddled him a few times and we decided to put him down. DH doesn't know what's going on, but vitamin D toxicity and lily toxicity were things that came to mind with the mineralized kidneys. No idea. :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry but, we all know it was best for him. No more suffering with no hope. RIP little guy.

Latest posts