Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My favorite ewe had triplets today. Everything looked great, but a few hours later she was headbutting all of them and not letting them suckle. Now she has picked out the smallest one, DH says she's pretty much rejected it. My normal go-to person for a bottle baby is pregnant and 3 weeks from due date, so not able to take on a bottle lamb now. Too early in the season for auctions in this area, otherwise I would put it up in the next sheep/goat hobby sale.

I'll probably try to bottle feed. Probably won't try too hard though. Unless it's a girl.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's a boy. But he took the bottle easy and his momma is letting him stay in the pen. His momma was one of my first bottle lambs and she LOVES milk replacer! Hard to keep her away from the bottle! If she can get one she will chew the nipple right off! Maybe milk replacer smell will make this baby more attractive to her? :gig I really should teach him to drink from a bowl strait-away and bypass the hassle of the bottle.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel for ya! Maybe you can put it on Craigslist. Some people love bottle babies... (I don't know why, lol!)

*I* love bottle babies. :gig But this one is a boy, so... not really worth much investment. Ewe lamb bottle babies I go all out with lead training and teaching them to come when called. I want a barn full of ewes that act like dogs. :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Aww, poor little thing! Hope mom will accept him and let him nurse soon, so you don't have to keep feeding him. Congrats on the trips by the way! You all are making me broody here with your babies and bottle babies :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My friend has had 5 lambs so far this year. 1 DOA, 4 bottle babies. 1 sick ewe, 1 with no milk. Ugh. She's not so thrilled!

Congrats on the babies. At least she hasn't rejected them all!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What if you dabbed milk replacer on his head, and around her nose? Any way you can transfer scent from accepted babies to the rejected one? Or her scent to the rejected one? Remove her babies for a few hours?

I've never raised sheep. Just thinking out loud.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
She rejected him overnight. (crap) DS11 brought him in and bathed him. He's in my mudroom until he is warm and dry. He seems to be doing okay. Not feeling bad enough to just lay still in a laundry basket though. :grumble: