Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because the space was so small, I was able to work 10 hour days and still keep up with the garden. On the other side of the driveway, I put in a green bean garden, 1 foot wide and 12 feet long. Smaller doesn't mean less, it just means working smarter with what you have. You can do this.

IMG220.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise Would you be able to put in some raised beds?
I did "Square Foot Gardening" out in Wyoming and produced a lot from a 3'x7' bed. Maybe not a lot to put up for winter, but I was sharing my 1 square foot of spinach with the neighbors.
My potatoes go in potato bags so there is not weeding needed for them. I dump the bags into the bucket of the tractor and pick out the potatoes, the dirt then goes into a garbage can to be saved for grwoing something the next year. I use the same soil 2x for potaotes, then adde dit to the raised bed for other veggies - not tomatoes though. If you do square foot gardeing, plant the tomatoes along the edge and let them grow out past the bed, my tomatoes kinda took over the space and I had a hard time getting the lettuces out because the tomatoes made such a huge canopy.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. Plant smarter, and you can have a very productive garden in a very small footprint with very little work.

@baymule : Are those "yard long" beans? I grew the purple a couple years ago. Was pleased with the yield, but not with the flavor. My all time favorite pole bean is Fortex. It's a French filet. Can be harvested at 10 - 12" with excellent texture, no strings, and at that stage, the bean seeds inside are still nice and small. Produces like crazy. I've been saving my own seed for probably 15 years now. Grow enough for a whole summer's eating, can enough to last the winter (I think I canned about 25 pints last fall, and did a lot of dilly beans also) and give a lot away. All grown on a single 9' long old fashioned A frame style metal swing set. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of that swing set. Bought it for our kids almost 40 years ago.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are a long bean from Thailand. I got the seed from Baker Creek about 8 years ago and have saved seed from them ever since.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I may have to try the green yard longs. Perhaps I'll like their flavor better than the purple. Must always be trying something new. I have considered putting in a bit of a trellis along the deck. The deck is about 6' off ground level, facing N. I think beans would grow well there. It would be cool to see just how tall pole beans can grow. Pick from ground level, then go up on the deck and pick the upper level. They would provide some shade also. The E and W sides of the deck have decent soil. A planting on the W side would provide welcome shade from the hot afternoon sun.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like them cut in 6" lengths, dipped in buttermilk, rolled in cornmeal and flour, then deep fried. Dip in ranch dressing. Yum!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hay prices have been crazy here - high enough to talk about selling most of our sheep. Thankfully they've come down to less-than-ridiculously-high and we were able to buy some. We'll probably need to get some round bales for backup, just in case. Running out of hay in winter is bad deal!! DH is gone getting the last bales today. He hauled about 130 in 2 trips in stock trailer, but now it's broken. Thankfully there were only about 20 bales left to get and the weather is dry so he is getting those in our open trailer.

I've had a wicked cold, starting to feel human again.

Greenhouse tending is going well. I'm starting to pot things up and a couple are moved out. I'm also playing around with making a potted fairy garden. I had wanted to make one in the past but kept getting stuck. Have mulled on it for a year or so and I'm ready to move forward. I want to enter one in the fair. Not this year, already missed the entry date. Maybe next year?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got some hay! It's a scary feeling when you don't think you can get some.... been there - done that.

Ugh on a cold...they sure can make you miserable.

I love the idea of a fairy garden! When you get started you know it's mandatory to keep a photo journal! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I lost a few plants in greenhouse from combo of too dry and/or too hot. Not too shabby I think! DH bought shelves for it. Couldn't find the size I wanted, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I have a lot more space ready to fill up now. ;)

We're planning our first staycation. I hope DH can unwind without traveling. I proposed turning off the electricity other than the kitchen. I want DH to turn his phone off for the week too. :fl

DH set up our pool - the kind with the inflated ring at the top holding it up. We haven't had it up for a couple years because of safety concerns with DS4. He has become more cautious as he's getting older (or has fallen down more times?)

I've been cleaning the basement and finding lost pieces for games and puzzles. I'm hoping to have all the games play-able this weekend.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Enjoy that pool! We had one for a couple of years until the dog tried to climb in it...he punctured the inflatable ring...I patched it...he punctured it...I patched it...until finally it just gave up, lol. But, we sure had a bunch of fun in it while it lasted!