Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I collected succulent cuttings and have been using a Facebook group to learn how to take care of them correctly. I am doing this so I can teach 4-H houseplant project year 2 youth. They will get their succulents in August. I'm growing Thanksgiving cactus, Easter Cactus, 3 different Trandescantias, Jade, Mini Jade, and some others I havent identified or dont remember. 😅 pic of the babies or cuttings that are rooted.
20201205_162751.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Interesting discovery today. I am fasting over 24 hours for the first time since wearing a Garmin wearable. It measures heart rate and heart rate variability to show stress level. I knew I felt good fasting, but to see my body responding is amazing. The blue lines show low sress level, orange is medium or high. Yesterday was typical whether OMAD or TRF or unrestricted eating. But today. Wow.
CollageMaker_20201206_134601783.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting discovery today. I am fasting over 24 hours for the first time since wearing a Garmin wearable. It measures heart rate and heart rate variability to show stress level. I knew I felt good fasting, but to see my body responding is amazing. The blue lines show low sress level, orange is medium or high. Yesterday was typical whether OMAD or TRF or unrestricted eating. But today. Wow. View attachment 15130

i don't think i'd want to be that closely monitoring myself because it would remind me too much of the days of yore when i used to watch the stock market a lot. those graphs even kinda remind me... :)

i hope this all does help you, i hate to hear of anyone suffering and having a tough time in life. what you are doing is at least helping and gaining understanding what is going on and also having better information for the future.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Good day here! 😊 I'm busy prepping food. I had brined raw almonds and am dehydrating them today. I made tapioca pudding - our December treat. I need to clean up the kitchen and prep veggies for supper.

DS5 has been uninterested in school. Maybe another day off for him? We read books about Japan this morning. DS13 is busy doing school. He is behind his pace - trying to finish the semester a month early.

Other than that, normal Monday stuff. Try to clean up after the weekend and get settled back into a routine.

DH and DS5 picked out and cut a scraggly pine tree off our property for our Christmas tree. Its ugly! :gig I unboxed and wrapped gifts while they were outside. I am focusing energy on New Year's rather than Christmas. There's a lot we dont like about celebrating Christmas and this is the perfect year to set aside extended family habits and be more true to ourselves. I purged about 80% of Christmas items this year, and I've been collecting black and gold holiday decor items for a New Year's party. I put up a paper chain counting down to get the kids excited and looking past Christmas. I plan to have kids make resolutions to last until Valentine's Day - which is another favorite holiday for us.

My health goal progress is plugging along. I fasted 47 hours, ate brunch today and back to fasting until at least tomorrow morning. I'm at the weight I was at before the ear infection that set me back in November. 🎉 just under 12 pounds left to my soft goal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are going like gangbusters! So glad you feel good enough to do all that you do. I need to take a page from your book, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I
Dehydrating almonds? Why? Do they keep better this way?

I get raw almonds and soak them in water or brine for a couple days (in the fridge) before drying them.

Soaking is said to reduce lectins. Mostly, it gets them salty without having to get roasted/salted almonds which have been heated. The PUFA oils in nuts oxidize with heat, and roasted/salted nuts are coated in [oxidized] vegetable oil. Nutrition is all about the little details - the nuances that cant be communicated in public health nutrition recommendations.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So brined and dehydrated nuts are healthier because they have not been heated, changing the properties of the nut. I learn so much from you. Does that also lock in the good oils and make them last longer in storage? I get pecans sometimes, shell and freeze them. I guess I should dehydrate and vacuum seal them and see how that works.