Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I had a good afternoon away at another county's dog project seminar. I carpooled with another 4-H leader. I enjoyed getting to know her better.

I planted more seeds when I got home. Basil and tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, groundcovers, perennials.

Catnip is growing amazingly well! I will need to pot it up soon.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Congrats on the first lambs of the year! Quads at 8! What are the chances you’ll end up with bottle babies? Hopefully she can keep up with that many!
She is not shy about rejecting lambs when she has 4. She does not hold body condition well and seems to reject lambs if she is too thin? If she rejects one we might try grafting to the other ewe that was mothering them. We didn't leave the ewes together so that Isabella's lambs don't drink Apple's colostrum.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First lambs this afternoon. Isabella (8 years old!) started the season with quads. Another ewe was mothering them with her! That's a first time for me! It was adorable, but we separated them. DH and I moved the younger/wilder ewes into lambing pens.
Congrats! I hope they all lamb smoothly!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Congrats! I hope they all lamb smoothly!
I hope tomorrow goes well! I will be lambing solo during the day. We've only needed to help a ewe once in 7 years of lambing, so knock on wood that doesn't happen tomorrow. We've only seen 3 or 4 lambings in 7 years, actually. Not for lack of trying!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise there’s a gal I’ve been talking to about her finns, she milks them and gets a respectable amount of milk! Do you have anything I should now if considering adding a Finn to my flock? I know they have multiples, I’ve also heard they’re not particularly parasite resistant? Any words of warning? Lol

Hope today goes smoothly for you!