Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cook those onions to caramelize, chop and freeze in ice cube trays. Pop amount needed into your pot of....easy, plus no waste of an unused jar or a canning lid!! Those rascals ain't cheap now!

Pressure canning isn't hard, just some tiny rules to acknowledge. Jump on in there @Trying2keepitReal. The initial cost of the canner should be considered as a good investment for many years! Not to mention how much you can preserve with it. Saves freezer space. Cans ready to heat and eat...faster than thawing. Ketchup is easy just LOTS of tomato and time 🤣. Grow a few extra plants.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cook those onions to caramelize, chop and freeze in ice cube trays. Pop amount needed into your pot of....easy, plus no waste of an unused jar or a canning lid!! Those rascals ain't cheap now!

Pressure canning isn't hard, just some tiny rules to acknowledge. Jump on in there @Trying2keepitReal. The initial cost of the canner should be considered as a good investment for many years! Not to mention how much you can preserve with it. Saves freezer space. Cans ready to heat and eat...faster than thawing. Ketchup is easy just LOTS of tomato and time 🤣. Grow a few extra plants.
dangling with my toes over the edge. @tortoise I need a teach and learn day! I wish our extension office would do something like that, does yours? I have no one (older generation or sibling) to teach me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll do that with some, but freezer space is at a premium at my place. DH keeps saying - buy another one. I keep saying - nope! I've got one full size in the garage, one side by side in the breezeway and one bottom fridge freezer in the house. Not buying another one, lol.

But, I've got some cute half-pint jars that I probably won't use for anything else so that's what I'll use.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to can soup because ready-to-eat soup from the store is so expensive. DH likes to have canned soup for an easy meal.
Last year I canned vegetable soup by cutting up what I had at the time and putting a little in each jar. I even shelled out the beans from green beans that got too mature. Tomato, squash, peas, onion, corn, I forget what all I put in the jars. I covered with boiling chicken broth, capped and canned. Sure makes an easy meal! You

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
dangling with my toes over the edge. @tortoise I need a teach and learn day! I wish our extension office would do something like that, does yours? I have no one (older generation or sibling) to teach me.
My county does not have a master food preservers program anymore. But I would love to restart it. When I get some of my other 4-H projects done...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'll do that with some, but freezer space is at a premium at my place. DH keeps saying - buy another one. I keep saying - nope! I've got one full size in the garage, one side by side in the breezeway and one bottom fridge freezer in the house. Not buying another one, lol.
Same here, 3 freezers. I need to can more, especially meat.