Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I suggested to DH that we switch to Dorper (hair) sheep. Can't imagine that happening soon, but maybe? It's hard to find a good shearer for a small flock in our area and I don't want to shear more than we already have. I'd like to expand our flock, but the shearing problem...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you can, Go with katahdins instead. I’ve heard dorper rams are jerks, and katahdins are super hardy and parasite resistant.
we were thinking dorper for carcass quality, katahdins (at least the ones around here) are more like goats.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah the ones I’ve seen here look solid. There are a fair amount of katahdins here, not a lot of dorpers. Mostly wool sheep here though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I suggested to DH that we switch to Dorper (hair) sheep. Can't imagine that happening soon, but maybe? It's hard to find a good shearer for a small flock in our area and I don't want to shear more than we already have. I'd like to expand our flock, but the shearing problem...

they don't have an app for that? yeah, yeah, i know, just kidding (oh, no, that's goats not sheepies :) ) ...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I started with Dorper/Katahdin cross ewes and a Dorper ram. He was a jerk. I got a Katahdin ram, going to get another one in July. Both are parasite resistant. I have daughters and now a few granddaughters from the first Katahdin ram, to breed to the second ram. Mostly white, but I have some colored ones. I also like that they come in all colors,long tailed and no docking. Most of all, no shearing! I have a couple of ewes from the Dorper ram that keep a Mohawk woolly Matt on their back, but I hand shear them. No biggie. They are very low maintenance.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I considered at one point getting a few katahdin ewes to keep with my Shetlands for better meat quality but I’ve heard the hair contaminates the wool when they live together. So itty bitty Shetlands it is for me😂