Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been committed to not even thinking about work (volunteer obligations) for the last 5 days. Now it's crunch time. I have quite a few balls in the air. The most challenging part is just keeping track of them all! I'm trying to get my to-do list and calendar in order tonight.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They both love to read. But not as much as they love to fight with each other 😅

we went through that too. once they get into working, cars, girlfriends, etc. they'll calm down and perhaps get along better. in our family it sure did get a lot better. :) books were one of the ways i did the "If I don't see you then you don't see me!" way of hiding from all of the older siblings. they at least tended to not get in my face as much when i was reading - but it also really helped me in many other ways (building imagination and taking me to other ways of thinking about things, problem solving, learning, etc.)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Busy-busy. All the 4-H projects are ramping up to get ready for the fair in July. Right now, the dog project board is squabbling and the superintendent is trying to oust me. I've had some time to think on it. I think I can roll with the role she wants me in and still keep nudging toward change. Now that I see what she is heading toward I can adjust. She doesn't want me teaching classes and wants to put me in the role of individual help for those who need it, and in the education displays part. That wouldn't actually sideline me, I can still have similar impact. I'll do me and the parents will express their opinions eventually. Or, the superintendent will come around. The county educator has my back too. The educational displays role seems to be an attempt to minimize me, but I can get most of my curriculum delivered during sessions on things like making dog toys.

I'm prepping for one of those sessions now. Making tug toys out of t-shirts. DS15 and I have cut almost 200 t-shirts into 1" strips. I have been assembling kits for different sizes and difficulty levels. I'm also preparing a lesson on dog color perception - why the color of dog toys matters. (Spoiler: if your dog can't see your hand, you might get bitten. ) and a lesson on how to play tug so it's safe for kids and fun for dogs. DS15 and I filmed most of the video today.

Cat project is squabble-free, thank goodness. No board or finances in that project, which makes everything easier. I'm just helping out with teaching youth to train cats to go in a kennel, tolerate a harness, etc.

Our 4-H club has been doing a service project each month. I'm prepping for making 100 Valentines Day cards and a display at the library. The kids will make the cards and (hopefully) community members will write messages. The state VA will distribute them to veterans in skilled care homes.

Next month we're teaching the kids (ages 5-15) to sew cloth bags to donate to the library. I have the fabric, so I'll be prepping that too- make the pattern, photograph steps, write instructions, cut the pieces and make kits, etc.

Latest posts