Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We were up to 95 degree today and I was not able to function. I managed to get to piano lessons one willpower alone - I couldn't bear to forfeit $90 for missing a week of piano lessons. I was in with bed air conditioning, my legs up and compression garments on the rest of the day.

Our temps are breaking tonight. As soon as it cooled off, I went out to pick blueberries. Picked one gallon bucket off half of a row. We have 16 rows. :thThey're just starting and I'll have 8 rows to pick for the next 3 - 4 weeks and then the other 8 rows will start for another 3 - 4 weeks after. I love the idea of blueberries, but we didn't choose them - they came with the property. They're not even established yet, but we find ourselves completely overwhelmed with their maintenance and production each year.

I'm housecleaning tonight because I can! Laundry, dishes, and sweeping/mopping the hardwood floor.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the idea of blueberries too - but can't wrap my head around that much upkeep! Can you sell them? Offer some as a "U-pick-em"?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The previous owner of this property planted the blueberries intending to do a you-pick. We're many years away from the plants being mature enough to do that. So until then, more blueberries than you can shake a stick at!

I picked 1 and 3/4 five-quart pails today. Yesterday's pick is used up: I made 2 batches of syrup, gave some away, and my kids have been stealing them by handfuls. :love

I'm planning another batch of blueberry syrup. I'm going to tweak the recipe to leave out lemon zest and also double the batch. I may start blueberry-basil vinegar. My mom loved it last year so I want to make and can more for her for xmas gift.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a wonderful "Problem" to have! :) I would offer a small scale you-pick too. Maybe just to a few people you know, for now, to help get the harvest off? That's after you picked what you want and need for your family that is!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen any ads for the PYO places so blueberries must not be ready yet. They're my favorite. We eat so many, in smoothies and yogurt and muffins and mmmm... I'm a little envious of your berries:lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love them, but I don't buy them often as they are fair expensive here. I really would not mind having a row or two growing somewhere!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got a day off picking blueberries because my MIL is coming to visit tomorrow and will likely want to pick berries. I blanched and am dehydrating a batch. Blanching is an experiment. The internet says they dehydrate better after blanching. We will see.... berries take a long time to dehydrate. They've been running all day and have a long ways to go yet.

I'm feeling a little better in general and have figured out how to work around this POTS stuff well enough to get back to making art. I hadn't touched it since January.
IMG_3466.JPG

Still a long ways to go on this little guy. He's on my easel, and a finished piece out of the set for comparison. The series is for the vet clinic reception area. They are of dogs I groomed while I worked there. I'll have to do cats, horse(s), goat(s), sheep, and maybe a rabbit too!

IMG_3467.JPG