Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Dad started his herd at the age of 14. By the time he'd had the herd for a year, he was growing it well, and was taking blue ribbons at the fairs, much to the chagrin of the seasoned sheep farmer in the area. (This guy was used to taking all of the blue ribbons, and was not at all pleased to be bested by a kid!) He then bought his first pair of clippers, and started shearing sheep for all the herdsmen in the area. It was amazing to see him in action. He'd grab that sheep, flip it onto it's butt, and hold it between his knees. He'd then start at the neck, and shear that fleece off, just like shucking a toddler out of a snow suit. When he let the sheep go, they ran off, kicking up their heels, seeming to be GLAD to be freed from that heavy wool coat. Nope. they didn't seem to be much stressed over the procedure!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They're so strange about shearing! Being extra-flighty prey animals, once they're caught, the pretty much just freeze and wait to die. We hire a shearer, so each sheep takes about 5 minutes. You would think that being caught and shearer would be the stressful part, but actually the more stressful part social stress afterwards. They don't really recognize each other immediately after shearing! The rams start ramming and sparring or, alternately, they go crazy with all the "new" girls and start chasing and trying to breed. :gig Takes about 5 minutes for the girls to settle down and it's like nothing every happened. The rams... are less smart :gig Takes them a while to chill out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of mine eat out of my hand. They WILL run me down for feed. I have one that sticks her head in my butt and pushes, while kicking forward with her front hooves. I have different pastures, I rattle a feed can, walk to the pasture I want them in shrieking SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEP! This incites them to a frenzy, they are screaming BAA BAA BAA BAA at the top of their sheepie lungs. I pour a bit of feed out, then walk to the barn lot, open the gate and the race is ON! They run to the open gate, jostle for the best eating position and I saunter up and close the gate. Time to go "home" -- rinse, repeat.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't have to say a thing....they watch me from afar to see if I'm heading towards any known source of food or if I have any kind of bucket or similar shape in my hand. Then they thunder across the land like I hold the last morsel of food on Earth. :rolleyes:

Same with the chickens, the ducks, the dogs and cats. You'd think they were all starving instead of fat as ticks. I don't say much at all except MOVE!!!!!! MOVE!!!!!! MOVE!!!!! and then, anything still in my way is getting walked on.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only critters I can relate to this are chickens. I find them to be quite easy to herd. I simply pick up one or two fiberglass fence posts, and walk along behind the stragglers, tapping those poles on the ground, and repeating, "go to bed" over and over again. It doesn't matter what time of day, those are the words I use. They know that I intend to herd them to their safe run/coop. Of course the alternate to herding is leading.... accomplished with a can of scratch!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's my 10 year anniversary since joining this forum! So much has changed!

I was newly-divorced single mom of a 2 year old. Lived in my 660 sq ft house in a city, with my BFF and her 1 year old son, 2 dogs, a cat, rabbits, a couple chickens and a goat there at the end. :gig My username was inspired by my turquoise betta fish, named Tortoise. I was working full-time as an administrative assistant and just barely scraping by.

Now, I'm happily remarried (5 year anniversary coming up next month), that 2 year old is 12 and I have a 4 year old too. Live on 80 acre farm, and have a flock of sheep and 2 goats. 2 cats, and a dog (service dog). I'm a stay-at-home mom, homeschooling DS12. Right now I'm living out what I dreamed of when I was in high school (they say that's our truest version of our selves). Complete with the "tall dark and handsome" husband :love Life is good :love

Latest posts