Wild Hare
Reaction score
Since joining I've learned to
  • Make coffee
  • Fish
  • Clean fish
  • Cook fish
  • Butcher rabbit, chicken, deer, lamb
  • Card and spin wool (extremely poorly, not worth repeating)
  • Wet felt, needle felt
  • Water bath can
  • Pressure can - including meat
  • Dehydrate foods
  • Prune landscaping
  • Pull a tractor out of mud :gig
  • Bottle-raise lambs
  • Lead-train livestock
  • Catch sheep
  • Groom dogs (certified master groomer, since retired due to injuries)
  • Make freezer meals
I'm sure this list should be much longer, but that's all I can remember now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Had a little taco party today. The people I invited couldn't come so I called my parents to come help eat food. LOL not so much fun. DS12 absolutely lost his mind. Later confesses eating cheese - which seems to be triggering some allergenic and psych symptoms for him. I haven't done a proper elimination / challenge yet so can't say for sure.

Family was in bed and asleep by 8. I've been loving the quiet alone time to plan and organize. I've been feeling so scattered and overwhelmed. Party prep is a stressor. A planned stressor that keeps me on schedule for cleaning and cooking, gets me trying new recipes and working on my social support system. This menu was just about at the breaking point where good stress turns to bad stress. Feels good to get my feet under me.

Part of this is that Wednesday and Thursday I had a hormone-induced pain flare. My joints were looser and worse than usual and I'd had some minor/micro injuries in the previous days. Thursday I was bedbound, made it to the bathroom a couple times without passing out. Was too ill most of the day to read or use my computer. But by evening I was able to watch a funny movie, and hubby brought me chocolate :love

Then the hormones flip-flop and the joints tighten up and blood volume expands and everything is right in the world again.

I am starting to make single-serving freezer meals for myself. I think it will help me when I'm struggling to prepare food or eat well. I asked others with my health conditions how they cope and all of them said freezer meals! I started the first couple tonight with party leftovers. I'll need to cook some meat tomorrow and buy frozen veggies, but proud of myself for getting started! :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great idea!
I tried to do the Once-A-Month cooking thing, but that took too much out of me. So now I just try to make a couple of extra servings when I cook something and freeze them for those nights when I am too tired or busy to cook. Like tonight- I cooked up some pork neck bones in the instant pot and made Italian Gravy (aka pasta sauce) with the meat. Dumped some ricotta in individual ramekins and topped with the gravy and some parmesan and into the oven. I have enough extra that I can make at least one more family meal or several lunches.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yum! We are taking 6 to slaughter on Tuesday.

Bay, do you keep all those for you or are you selling some of those to others?

@tortoise , I LOVED the look back on what has happened in your life and what you've since learned to do! I'm so glad your dreams came true and your hard work panned out. I didn't exactly get what I dreamed about in HS, but I'm glad how God worked out my life all that same....likely it wouldn't have been as rich if I had gotten my original dream. I think you and I had similar dreams, though, which is kind of funny! :gig Even back when I graduated it was considered backward and a lack of ambition to want to be a farm wife and raise kids and farm animals.

Latest posts