Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother got me curious about quail again! I contacted the DNR and learned that licenses are only required for native species. No license or recordkeeping required for Coturnix. hmmm... I'm liking this idea even more.

I think I've given up on the turkey. I don't think I could do 100% of their care by myself, and DH doesn't want to take care of poultry, possibly ever again.

I'm still scheming to get some layers. I'm looking at the Whiting's True Blue. If I want to get out of chickens, it would be easy to sell blue layers at a swap meet or similar. Only problem is the hatchery minimum order is 15. So maybe I'll get 10 meaties too? IDK. I need to figure out how to build an outdoor enclosure that is within my limited construction abilities. I'm thinking 3' tall PVC frame with chicken wire would work and would be light enough to double as a chicken tractor. I can manage PVC by myself. :)

Not much else going on around here. I LOVE my new blender and have been "eating" smoothies almost exclusively. Perfection. I've always been a little envious of people on a liquid diet, but the additives (and flavors!) put me off. I've been tracking my nutrition in detail and smoothies are helping me improve my nutrition considerably without suffering through chewing and tasting foods I don't like. :gig My favorite right now is 2/3 cup cooked carrots and 1 cup orange juice, wit or without collagen protein and olive oil. Tastes like summer. So good 😍 🥳

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would your enclosure be for year round chicken keeping? If so, PVC won't hold up to your snow load, and it is not UV stable. I suggest that you look into Cattle Panel construction. Easily within the means of the casual builder. Can you handle power tools at all? IMO, power tools are the great equalizer. They enable a woman, who may not be as strong or big as the average man,to step out of the kitchen, and step into the wood shop, and build her own stuff!!! You might also be able to find a gently used coop that will fill your needs. Then... There's the option of pallet construction. Drive a few T posts, attach the pallets, add what ever you are using for siding, add a roof, and you're 75% finished.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can use some power tools. Most comfortable with drill and chop saw. I'm often not able to put in a T-post, and I'm not able to drill into concrete blocks to attach wood post to the side of the barn. My use of power tools is limited by grip strength.

So I'm looking at free-standing options. The "coop" (which is like 10 x 10 feet) is inside the barn (concrete block construction), and there is an exterior door. I'm looking to make an enclosure on the outside the barn, at the exterior door so hens have access to bugs and soil. I don't need it for winter use, but I'd like to leave it outdoors in winter.

DH attempted to make a chicken tractor a couple years ago, but it was too heavy to move. So I was wary of using wood frame.

I had not thought about UV radiation degrading PVC. Thank you for mentioning it! I will need to think on a different plan.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cattle panel stands up well. With some interior frame work, (ridge pole, diagonal bracing at ends) it will stand up to anything the weather throws at it. I have no doubt that my CP greenhouse could be completely buried in snow, and it would come through with flying colors. The ridgepole on my 8' L greenhouse is supported at each end by the door frames. Then, at each end wall, there is diagonal bracing to help the arcs maintain the intended curvature.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother got me curious about quail again! I contacted the DNR and learned that licenses are only required for native species. No license or recordkeeping required for Coturnix. hmmm... I'm liking this idea even more.
Hope you can get some!

Glad the new blender and smoothies are working out. Yay!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been unplugging the wifi at home. I just don't like how my habits with internet use have gotten! Time to change! I have better energy and functioning now, so time for those old habits to change too. I'll be checking in less often, but hopefully have a lot more projects and goings-on to talk about!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'll still be online daily. My first hour of internet use is productive or makes my life better. After that... not so much!! :eek:

I'm down 2#! Love my blender. 😍 🥳

I am working on getting my kids and pets onto routines better. Kid bedtimes have not been going well - and then daytime doesn't go well either. DS12 is coming 'round quickly after I discovered a handheld electronic game in his bed and discarded it.

Latest posts