Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I did that too! LOL and I can't have books or flashlights in the house because of DS12 staying up all night reading. I read for an hour or so before bed - in bed. I have trouble sleeping when I get into a cold bed, so I read and warm it up for a while first. :) I read non-fiction so it's not too hard to put it down.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been thinking on how to make a hen-pen more functional so I can take care of them. I have trouble with the waterer - and especially in winter when everything is cold and plastic is stiff and my hands hurt. We've had problems with feed waste and rodents. I have trouble with anything that involves going into the hen pen. It has an 6 or 8 foot gate that's very clumsy and snow fence hanging down from the ceiling. LOL, very hodge-podge pen.

So I'm thinking to set up 5 gallon buckets for auto feeder - the kind with a toggle that they peck at to release food. And auto waterer with nipples. Cut out a section of fence, build a shelf/cage of sorts so the buckets are suspended in the hen pen but accessible from outside, and an angled roof over them. It's amazing in my head. Problem being I need DH's help with the construction part to make sure it is sturdy enough to hold filled buckets.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I'm thinking to set up 5 gallon buckets for auto feeder - the kind with a toggle that they peck at to release food.
I have some of those feeders. They really do work well and I set them up anytime we're going to be gone a day or so. The only problem with leaving them up all the time is that rodents learn as fast as chickens to wiggle that toggle and get feed. But, if you just put a days worth of feed in them for your birds or raised them up at night where rats couldn't reach 'em - they might be just what you're looking for.

Another option that we tried was PVC feeders that I could fill from outside the pens and had a portion that extended through the pen that they would eat out of. Then every evening I would walk along and just put a cap over the feeder part to keep the rodents out.

Wish I had pics - but Google probably does, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did that too! LOL and I can't have books or flashlights in the house because of DS12 staying up all night reading. I read for an hour or so before bed - in bed. I have trouble sleeping when I get into a cold bed, so I read and warm it up for a while first. :) I read non-fiction so it's not too hard to put it down.

we have a pretty small house, if i'm inside i'm usually here on the futon in my room. it's my couch, my spot to read, use the computer, etc. the rest of the house is Mom's space. it's usually already warmed up when i'm sleepy i just roll over and take a nap.

i found out years ago that heated blankets make me feel more sore and tired out. if i wanted one i would use it to warm up the bed and then turn it off. i sleep better in a cool room. i have an old sleeping bag i use as a top blanket and if it gets really cold out i have another blanket i can put over that, but it is usually too warm when i do that. i end up sleeping with my feet sticking out anyways. they're my radiators. :)

i also have an issue with sheets or things in the bed that can get wrapped around me as i sleep. cords from an electric blanket would end up wrapped around my legs by morning. i always turn one direction in my sleep. i also wake up with sheets wrapped around my neck. which is why i don't use them any more. i have blankets and if they get wrapped around me i just look like a burrito. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MIL gave me a portable / wand scanner for Christmas. I unboxed it this evening and started scanning. Got kids' artwork and the stuff that would be in a baby book if I had baby books. 200+ scans. So much to sort through digitally, but I'm very happy. I want to get photobooks made and ditch the hard copies.

When I was on bedrest, my brother wrote me a lot of letters. In calligraphy, no less. I scanned those. I think I'll send him digital copies. It has been 13 years and sometimes it's fun to look back on our older points-of-view.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Or you could get a heated mattress pad like I did. I swear it's the best thing I ever bought. At least a million times better than a heated blanket.

Love mine! Have used one for maybe 20 yrs and so nice to get into a warm bed. There is no issue with wires in the bed with you @flowerbug, they are just not there.