Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tortoise, I'm glad you found a doc who seems to have a clue about what is going on with you. How are you responding to the new meds and diet protocol?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Tortoise, I'm glad you found a doc who seems to have a clue about what is going on with you. How are you responding to the new meds and diet protocol?

In November 2018, the month before I saw the doctor who diagnosed me, I was almost completely bedbound - I could crawl to the bathroom, but that was about it. I was too cognitively impaired to read or work on hobbies in bed. I was unable to drive, and was too fatigued and weak to use my wheelchair in the house.

When I stick to the diet, I'm mostly fine. Just one meal off and the diet and the fatigue and cognitive impairment return. I've only been unable to drive one day since August 2019. I still find unexpected triggers, but I'm better at coping with them.

I had DNA testing done in 2019 that was enormously helpful. I have really bad DNA, lucky me. So I'm on supplements to minimize the effects of those genes. I'm very impressed by a recent addition to my supplements. It seems have fixed my hormone issues - I'm having less joint paint related to menstrual cycle fluctuations.

I have been thinking about working part-time, but decided instead I'll be a "professional volunteer." That will give me lots of wiggle room while I figure out how much I can handle. I am officially a 4-H volunteer as of yesterday. :) I also volunteer for an organization that provide support and resources to those with Ehlers-Danlos syndromes and related diagnoses - I lead a monthly support group.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Early afternoon today, the school district announced that school would continue as scheduled. A couple hours later, the governor mandated that all K-12 schools in the state be closed from March 18 - April 6 and the distrcit made another announcement that school is closed until April 6 now. We just had spring break, so kids will be out of school for 4 weeks.

Doesn't make much difference to me - DS12 is homeschooled and DS4 is in public school half-days. DH checked with his employees to see if any needed help with childcare, since the elementary school also operates the main daycare in the area. Seems everyone has family to help out, so I'm off the hook for childcare.

I'm planning playdates since there aren't any cases within 80 miles or so, none in the county here. But trying to be smart about it. My plan A is to volunteer to disinfect the kids' room and toys at the library and then schedule playdates at the library for immediately after I've cleaned.

I visited a horticultural conservatory this week and it left quite an impression on me. I understand why some of my houseplants are struggling. I don't have their growing conditions right. I've been busy researching and repotting my few houseplants that are not African Violets.

I have a huge Wandering Jew which I hope to enter in the county fair. My pot was too heavy for fair restrictions so I had to start over. I cut off all the stems and emptied the pot. I put a plastic pot in upside down to fill up space and filled the pot 2/3 with perlite to lighten it and reduce water retention. (oh! I added a drainage hole too, can't believe there wasn't one before!!). I mixed new soil blend to fill the pot - more vermiculite to retain water to keep the roots compact and to help the cuttings root. Then I pruned, sorted, and stuck the stems/cuttings back in for them to re-root. DH thinks I've lost my mind with this plant. It was very pretty at a glance before, but also leggy and the long leafless stems starting to wrap around in coils. That's not good enough for fair. The only way to make a Wandering Jew into a fair-worthy specimen is keeping it a young, compact plant. I'll be rooting new cuttings into the crown right up until a couple weeks before the fair.

I'm also trying to figure out how to grow a perfect spiderplant. Sure they're tolerant and hard to kill, but it's tough to grow a perfect one with perfect leaf tips. I learned that they're tropical / rain forest plants at the conservatory. I was surprised! I've been doing it all wrong! LOL

I've been treating my Sansevieria wrong too. Turns out I have a soft leaved subtropical variety, but I've been treating it like the hard leaf arid type. Poor thing! I never did my homework after receiving it from a friend. It's my next-in-line to repot.

I'm motivated to get caught up on houseplants because it's almost greenhouse season. And almost lambing season! Spring is here!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Quiet day. DH is back to work. DS4 entertained himself with workbooks for 2 hours this morning!

I have been writing letters and cards to family, friends, and to nursing home residents - the nursing home is confining residents to their rooms and requested the community send cards and letters.

I will venture out today to pick up and deliver a prescription for a friend who is homebound. Might check the local grocery store for marked-down produce since Mondays are the best days for that. Also check if they have tp and hand sanitizer, etc and post to local FB group to help people find places they can get what they need.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I would go crazy if I was confined to just one room. Good idea, to write to nursing home residents, especially the ones that don't have family or friends nearby. Too bad it's taken a pandemic to get us to think of doing that.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It seems people are getting bored with social media and the news being monopolized by COVID-19. I am noticing much less activity on social media. Interesting. I'm interested in looking at COVID-19 as a social experiment and watching how people's habits may shift.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
First lambs born overnight. DH left a hose on in the barn and flooded part of it, so it's spring barn cleaning day. Ewwww, not my favorite task. I was working on it until my hands gave out. Resting and icing and we'll see what else I'm able to do today.

1585584375863.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cleaned out the chicken coop area of the barn. DH looks at me and says "no" :gig I'm thinking as long as I'm being selfish and getting chickens for myself, I might as well get the pretty ones I've been coveting. Blue Silkies 😍 I love fluffy things

Latest posts