Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got groceries yesterday, also picked up garden seed and some supplies for my African Violets at the hardware store. Was very thankful they had garden seed. I had already ordered garden seed from Baker Creek but only for 1/4 of my garden. I was planning to cover crop the rest. But now with this COVID-19 being the worst in the USA, I am rethinking that garden plan and leaning towards planting "all the things". Maybe someone will garden share, IDK. My friend who wanted to garden share last year is very unwell right now. She has been unable to walk. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am rethinking that garden plan and leaning towards planting "all the things".
I'm with you on that! I've planted more than I have in years. I'm trying to convince my neighbors to grow a garden too - I'll even supply a large amount of seeds. Not sure yet if they're going to take me up on it - but they have a lot more room than I do.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH sent me a message from the feed store. "Compromise is good. I'll get these chicks 4 u." With this pic:

1585676814010.png

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It seems people are getting bored with social media and the news being monopolized by COVID-19. I am noticing much less activity on social media. Interesting. I'm interested in looking at COVID-19 as a social experiment and watching how people's habits may shift.
It's very difficult to maintain a state of panic for very long, and there's not much new stuff- just finger pointing, statistics, and pictures of empty shelves. I'm more than ready to look at pictures of baby lambs (congrats!) and chicks, and yes, kittens and puppies.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Lamb count is up to 13 in 36 hours. Never had them come so close together. I rather like it this way.

A first-time had triplets. 2 of them are verrrry small. One is very weak too. The other has gotten to its feet and she is starting to mother it. I was able to milk 20 oz of colostrum and asked DH to bring home a tube feeding set. He is otherwise occupied at work (an employee just learned she was exposed to COVID-19), and I'm not sure the lamb is going to survive long enough to get tube fed.

My favorite ewe, Ava, rejected a lamb. One of her three. Strong healthy lamb. She has rejected healthy lambs in the past, I'm so annoyed with her. This bottle lamb looks great. Big, vigorous, was with mom long enough to get colosrum. And a ewe lamb, so I'll bother with feeding her. She needs a name that starts Ava- Is Avalanche appropriate? :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Tiny Triplets update: the tiny boy I tube-fed yesterday is fine this morning. His tiny sister is not okay. Weak, cold, can't get up. And has bloody hoofprint from momma on her back leg too. So she's in the house with me with a warming pack and tube fed. IDK if she will be able to go back with her momma. Tiny girl weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces. Normal lambs are like 9 pounds. Her mother was a small and slow-growing lamb, her name is Eety-Tiny. DS4 named her when he was 2. He was trying to say "teeny tiny" 😍

Bottle lamb Avalanche is doing great. I haltered Ava and tied her in her pen. Avalanche managed to suckle once, but Ava is just not having it and flinging her hind end around. I've never seen a sheep so angry. Angrily munching on hay. Just angry. :sigh: Never pick a fight with sheep.

So there goes the first 3 hours of my day. I'm so behind. Don't have a seed planted in the greenhouse yet! Overdue! I'm so frustrated. :(

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am scheming to get exhibition Silkie chicks tomorrow. Have not told DH. forgiveness is easier than permission. Pretty sure I won't regret this, but can't be sure! :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My greenhouse is fairly well filled. We had a cold snap and 8" of snow. DH put a heat lamp in greenhouse to try to keep it from hard freeze at night. The kale and cabbage seedlings are doing great. I bought 4 other trays of seedlings in the house and the rest of the trays haven't germinated yet.

Most of my blueberry cuttings seem viable - getting leaves - but no roots yet. I had cut them too early, so this is a surprise. I will take cuttings for another tray the next time I am out..... when the snow melts.

The preemie lambs are living in the barn now and are learning to drink from a bowl. This makes life much easier!

I've been busy sewing ear savers. They are little fabric rectangles with buttons. They hold elastic masks on so people aren't getting sores on their ears. I've dropped off about 80 this week.