Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don’t have much experience with lambs- can I ask? Why are they so popular? I’ve only ever eaten lamb maybe 10 times. Yet I see so many at the fair and such. What are you using them for? Or do many people just not sell their lamb meat?
They're sweet, adorable, gentle livestock that are easy to keep in a fence. And fluffy! :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of the lamb goes into pet food market. I don't think I've ever seen lamb at a grocery store here. Around me, most people with sheep have small flocks for their freezer and enough lambs to take to auction to pay for winter hay.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of the lamb goes into pet food market. I don't think I've ever seen lamb at a grocery store here. Around me, most people with sheep have small flocks for their freezer and enough lambs to take to auction to pay for winter hay.
Oh! You might be right! We give our dogs lamb dog food… that makes so much sense. Never really noticed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Fair enough! They seem intimidating LOL.
They can be! Rams can be dangerous. They're the dumbest creatures on the planet and they will take you out with them. If you get sheep, do yourself a favor and build a chute. They're docile and trainable, but when stressed they are wild.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shetlands are not dumb, but they can be wild. I have had some crazies! I only have one crazy left, the rest are pretty docile. They do spook easily though. They’re smarter than I want them to be sometimes 😂

I love keeping them, they’re hardier than goats, easier to keep in a fence. Their meat is delicious and I’m a hand spinner so I do mainly keep them for wool. Mine are all micron tested and registered so I’ll sell ewe lambs as breeding stock and butcher ram lambs.

my ram loves chin scratches but I will NEVER turn my back on him. Rams are not to be trusted.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Let me talk to him. I can 100% convince the man that the new addition is a good idea.
He is the most stubborn human I have met. More likely to convince friend's hubby to keep their dog! The dog has been worrying chickens until they fly over their fence, and then dog chases and kills them. I suggested clipping the chicken's wings. :fl

I'm not feeling great - I have a little bit of a cold. Just less physical or mental stamina than usual. I have been switching between various tasks that need doing. (everything needs doing)

Baking bread. Roasting butternut squash scraps, and set aside cubes for canning. Nixtamalizing wheat. Sprouting wheat for cracker experiment. Sour dough starter smells a little yeasty so I hope it will keep going.

I finished 2 little craft painting projects last night. I'm currently painting a paper mache pumpkin decoration a little at a time in between everything else.

Piles of laundry, stinky dogs, weedy garden, dirty floor. You name it, it's on my list. :th