Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm delighted at what I was able to do today.
  • Vacuum main floor - twice
  • Vacuum stairs
  • Scrub kitchen floor
  • Laundry (DS14 folded and put away)
  • Change sheets
  • Change shower curtains
  • Bake pecan pie with DH
  • Mac n cheese from scratch
  • Dishes - twice, plus D and DS14 did more
  • Bathtime for DS6, wash and blowdry his hair. His hair is 8" long and growing. He wants to donate to Wigs for Kids. When he decided to do that, they needed 6" for donation. Now it's 14". :thNow he is spoiled and wants his hair blow dried. I can't say no. I wanted girls because I like doing hair. So I get a little while with a boy with long hair. I'll enjoy it while I can. :love
  • Clear and wash dining table - twice, and change to Christmas tablecloth/centerpiece
  • Wrap a gift
  • Wash appliances (DS14 washed the microwave)
  • Wash 5 windows
  • Burpees and planks! :D

glad to see DS's being more helpful. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm delighted at what I was able to do today.
  • Vacuum main floor - twice
  • Vacuum stairs
  • Scrub kitchen floor
  • Laundry (DS14 folded and put away)
  • Change sheets
  • Change shower curtains
  • Bake pecan pie with DH
  • Mac n cheese from scratch
  • Dishes - twice, plus D and DS14 did more
  • Bathtime for DS6, wash and blowdry his hair. His hair is 8" long and growing. He wants to donate to Wigs for Kids. When he decided to do that, they needed 6" for donation. Now it's 14". :thNow he is spoiled and wants his hair blow dried. I can't say no. I wanted girls because I like doing hair. So I get a little while with a boy with long hair. I'll enjoy it while I can. :love
  • Clear and wash dining table - twice, and change to Christmas tablecloth/centerpiece
  • Wrap a gift
  • Wash appliances (DS14 washed the microwave)
  • Wash 5 windows
  • Burpees and planks!
Ummmm, that's more than I do inside in a week! LOL!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today was good. Not fantastic, but good. DS6 got his second COVID vaccine! He could go to school in 2 weeks - but that's the day before winter break, so he's going back to school in January. January can't come soon enough!

DS14 broke my heated waterer for chicken coop, and of course the farm store is out of them. We are getting by with a dog bowl on a rabbit nest box heating pad.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today is feeling fabulous! I'm starting to understand my slump yesterday - it was the day before. I was trying to take thiamine every 12 hours, but it doesn't seem to last that long. The day before yesterday, I had increased energy demand (errands with naughty children!) and wore myself out. When that happens, it's not just like I'm out of energy and grind to a stop like a cold-blooded animal. The body keeps going, switches into anaerobic energy production which is inefficient and damages mitochondria and cells. The lack of energy and inadequate thiamine results in reduced blood flow to the brain (cerebral hypoperfusion) and pseudohypoxia (cells not getting enough oxygen from the blood), which causes the body to go into "fight or flight" to survive the situation. What I hadn't realized is when this happens there's considerable cellular damage that needs repairing - which requires energy and sleep. So if I run out of energy, I will certainly need more sleep and feel less than fantastic the next day. I tried taking my second dose early afternoon yesterday and it worked well. To be repeated!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Agreed--you seem to have so much knowledge in the body and understanding it. I wish I could figure out my life...haha do you take analysis requests?
You made me giggle. I read medical journals and medical textbooks. There's a lot I don't understand a lot in journals, but many medical textbooks are manageable. I wish I could go to med school - just the first couple years - so these books would be easier to read.

The best way to start figuring out (in my opinion) is Dr. Google and social media. Internet searches can help you narrow down a set of potential conditions that might fit your symptoms. The secret is to search "differential diagnoses" to find which conditions are similar to each other and how doctors differentiate them.

Then head to social media. I used Facebook groups. I would join large communities (>5,000 members preferred) of people affected by the condition and just read their experiences. It's very easy to see which conditions don't "fit" you well this way. In these groups, others will help newbies navigate diagnosis. Patients often are more familiar with the diagnostic criteria and pitfalls of testing than doctors. They also are likely to share articles that explain the condition in an expert-patient way - easier to understand than a medical textbook, but more thorough than medline type websites.

Then follow through and get medical testing and doctor's diagnosis to confirm whatever you figure out.

When you know what you're dealing with, then head back to social media and watch for people who have the same pattern of symptoms that you have, and same responses to various treatments that you have. It's great if you find 10 - 20 people that are just like you, medically. Follow them, and ask them about their experiences with various treatment options. Then ask your doctor for these treatment options - there's a good chance they will work for you too.

As you learn more about whatever condition(s) you are dealing with, level up your sources. Google Scholar search engine will give you access to medical journals - sometimes only the abstracts, but even that can sometimes be enough. If you can get on a university campus and use their wifi, you can access more journals through their subscription. It's amazing how many medical textbooks are free online as PDF files. I use PDF Drive to look for them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amazing what can be found on the net, if you know where and how to look. Way good things, beyond the odd and bad...?? Also out there.🙃

Some of the "how tos" are really helpful! Just think, there was a time none of it was available. Those of us who remember when not so, can appreciate it more. :old

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses you and I hearken back to the days of the dinosaurs. Black and white TV, actually had to get off the couch and WALK to the squawk box to turn a knob to change channels (there were 3) or volume. A long distance call was a BIG DEAL, cost MONEY and you ran to the phone as fast as you could. Our phone was on a short cord in an alcove in the hallway. Cokes came in glass bottles and had a deposit on them of 3 pennies. People actually wrote letters and mailed them to communicate. Wow! What a concept!

For oldies like us, learning how to navigate all this electronic whiz bang stuff really is a revelation. LOL

Latest posts