Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh dang! Ya'll hang in!
Thanks! TBH, its kinda fun to make use of our SS "stuff". 😏 There's power in town so we'll definitely be fine (comfortable). The high temps are above freezing until the weekend, so farm stuff isnt bad. Next week will be frigid, so I hope we have power for heated waterers and heat lamp for chickens by then.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH is either on-board with adopting Splash ... or has resigned to the inevitable :gig I'll make it official the next time I'm at the shelter. 🤩

sometimes you pick your battles. other times grin and bear it. :)

he probably likes Splash too, especially if he sees how much it helps you and DS7...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm very, very thankful for DH and our SS tendencies. We have been comfortable today. Lots of hygge cold-weather hacks for indoor comfort, plus DH/tractor/generator/camping gear for the snow moving and everything else.

We ran the generator twice today. Our indoor temp stayed 65°F or better. We unwrapped a new card game [Phase 10] from under the tree and played until bedtime. We tried using a propane lantern, but it was painfully bright.

DS7 is sleeping in the blanket fort with the dogs - he will be toasty tonight!

I put my sheepskin rug/couch cover on my side of the bed and got out an extra dense cotton quilt. Light some candles and snuggle up. 😍

DS15 is having teen angst related to US lifestyle/dependency on electricity 🍿🍿🍿 and anxiety, because, change.

@flowerbug thanks for bringing up wearing a hat indoors in another thread. We put on hats instead of bulky layers.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH ran the generator for an hour this morning for the freezers and furnace. Got it up to 66°F in the house. 👍 It was 57°F overnight - not bad!!!

DS7 got dressed and put his winter gear on while still in bed, and then I sent him to the bus stop. I didn't pack a lunch for him - he can have "hot lunch" at school.

I fed the dogs a little extra, put coats on them, and put them in the blanket fort. They can have a break from the chill.

I have places to go today. Starting with the gym so DS15 can take a shower! 🤢 I'll be away from home most of the day. But first, I will nap (and warm up clothes under my blanket!) until its light outside and then clean up the house.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Congrats on being ready for this and handling it so well!
When I was a kid, my parents' furnace broke down routinely, but my dad wouldn't/couldn't hire someone to fix it for years. When he finally gave in to hire someone, it turned out to be under recall and there was no charge for the repairs. 🤦‍♀️

Their well was designed poorly - the plumbing between the well and house should be below the frost line, but theirs is not! It froze up every year, mostly because my dad is a big depressed ADHD man-child who can't get his #$&* together. He would neglect to drain the plumbing to their upstairs bathroom and it would freeze and blow out the pipes. Every. 🤦‍♀️ Year. 🤦‍♀️

Add poverty, insufficient clothing and winter gear, and no coping skills... uff, a recipe for childhood trauma right there. I'm prepared and have decent coping skills because I'm not willing to put my kids through that.

State of mind is everything. (Assuming a baseline of security), you can chose to see it as an adventure or misery. It will become what you choose.