deadly rabbit virus

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
“RHDV2 is a non-zoonotic viral disease that causes sudden death in rabbits,” said NDA interim state veterinarian Dr. David Thain, in a statement. “While it is not harmful to humans, it can spread quickly among rabbits and we have gotten reports of cases in nearby states recently.”

Other cases have also been confirmed in Arizona, Texas, and Colorado in recent months, as per the NDA.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sad :( This does the rounds in Oz as well. We are permitted a vaccination for RHDV1 but not for strain 2. My friend who breeds show rabbits got hit and lost 7 rabbits. My pet bunnies live inside but I get mice and mozzies in the house so it is still a worry. Especially as the disease can live on the plants I grow and in the soil so it is always a worry for me.

It sucks that these diseases are still used to "control" feral populations, because its proven to simply not work long term. Last time RHDV1 was released farmers lost more lambs as feral cats, foxes and crows lost their usual food source. I get that wild rabbits do damage but we should be looking at smarter controls. Especially as we know now what can happen if an animal virus mutates.