Decisions, Decisions.....garden beds

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am on the fence with how to take my next step...maybe you all can help me come to a decision.

I want to put in 2 5X20 raised beds. Here are my options...
Rent a tiller ($100 for the day) and till the areas and then build 12' raised beds
~ OR~
Build deeper beds like 24" and just do a lasagna layer at the bottom.

Pro and cons.....well renting the tiller will get the job done properly but I will still have to scrounge/spend money on compost to fill the bed, but it would be mixed with the natural soil.

With deeper beds I will really have to work hard to get enough fill and it would be pretty much compost, and be lacking in the natural soil microbes, but I will be able to spend more on soil amendments etc.

My soil is very rocky and compact.

Any feedback would be helpful!

*Edited to add that I just found an ad on CL for organic compost $20 for 1 Cubic yard and buy 5 get the 6th CY free...and they will deliver. How much would my 2 100sq foot beds need if they were 24' deep??
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/1237676398.html

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
7 yards to do one bed if you make them 24" deep. I never tilled my yard up before I built my raised beds and they do just fine. I would add as much compost as you can, and since your dirt is mostly rocky,I wouldn't worry a bit about adding your natural soil to the compost.

365225218.jpg

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we made my raised beds I was utterly shocked at how much fill it took to fill them and we only filled them 3/4 full this year. We were able to get a pick-up load for the local nursery for $25.00 and after mixing it with a bunch of other stuff, it filled two beds.

I love my raise beds and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Happy gardening! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless there are accessibility/disability issues involved, or you are trying to grow trees on bedrock, I truly do not think it is worthwhile to make 24" deep raised beds. Yes, plants send down some roots fairly deep if given the chance (and benefit from that chance), but the vast majority of their root growth is in the top 8-12" of soil, and they do not need the deeper-down soil to be particularly nutrient-dense.

And 24" raised beds will take a LOT more watering than shorter ones will.

Me, I would rent a tiller *and* add some compost while you're doing it -- or do it very gradually over time (rather than in one fell swoop) and actually double-dig the compost in by hand, which will get some of into deeper depths than you'll be able to achieve with a tiller. And aim for 12" beds or even less, depending on exactly what the native soil is like.

Good luck, have 'fun' ;),

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Pat.

My book that I am working from suggests double digging down 24" which is why I was thinking of doing it the lazy way and just building up 24".

It took me several hours to dig (pick-axe) a 5x5 spot...so the idea of attempting a larger area is ugly.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
In my area often ads in the paper and or penny saver for tilling services, its cheaper than renting one. Till in 8 inches, raised beds 12 inches. You'll be okie me dokie with that.:thumbsup

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Your soil sounds about like mine, Dace. Well, I dug down about 8-10" into my native soil and removed rocks for some of my raised beds (8-10" of soil above ground), but not all. I can't honestly tell the difference between the beds that I "double dug" and those that I just plopped the raised beds onto. I don't think it is worth the extra effort. The plants with deeper roots are supposed to be able to loosen the soil down there over time anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it. JMO.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I double dug 5 beds, added well rotted leaf mold, compost, sand to my soil. This had been an old driveway, so there were many driveway stones to sort out. In the end, it was just a lot of hard work for very little return.
I would not do the Jeavon's double dig method again.

I agree with the others about a lower bed. Even if you decide that you want a higher bed, you could add more next year.

I get a large dump truck load of horse manure and sawdust each year for $35. I let it set a year before using it. If I go to a horse barn with 5 gallon buckets they let me have it for free.
If I go to our local quarry with my buckets, I get screenings(sand like) for 50 cents per 5 gal bucket.
Garden centers dump old plants and pots into dumpsters. There's potting soil in there! Ask if you could haul away the end of season discards before they go into the dumpster.

You could start scouting around for next years additions, get the word out and maybe get material for free.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
7 yards to do one bed if you make them 24" deep. I never tilled my yard up before I built my raised beds and they do just fine. I would add as much compost as you can, and since your dirt is mostly rocky,I wouldn't worry a bit about adding your natural soil to the compost.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/365225218.jpg
Your beds are beautiful that was what I kinda had in mind for next year but that means not building them out of hedge row stones :hu