sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks great! I'm starting to consider deep litter more and more. It looks like a great way to make compost.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That looks great! I'm starting to consider deep litter more and more. It looks like a great way to make compost.

That's what I do. Let the chickens do the coop...with the poop. Then, a big pile goes to the compost pile to ....compost!! :clap

Then, a few months later.....some awesome compost....goes into the gardens....and the grubs....go back into the chickens!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Can I cheat and plonk the coop over the compost heap? So far they didn't show much interest in it, but it seems to be breaking down well, in spite of our ridiculously cold winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Can I cheat and plonk the coop over the compost heap? So far they didn't show much interest in it, but it seems to be breaking down well, in spite of our ridiculously cold winter.
sumi, I compost right under my roost all year long. Makes for a lot less work and handling of bedding. Put it in raw, take it out cooked and ready to apply on the garden.