Deer Processing Tips to yield good venison.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deer meat, since it is hot in Texas, is placed in ice coolers, iced, drained daily and more ice added for several days. No brine. Then I process it into steaks and burger. No hanging a deer around here unless you like rotten meat with a side order of maggots.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Brine - I'm a fan. It's not intended to drain the meat of anything - it is intended to add flavor. I haven't tried it on any red meat, but sure is good for pork and chicken.

The science behind it is conflicting but it has been proven to add moisture. They have weighed the meat before and after and as such "proves" that the meat has absorbed the brine. Also has been proven that it retains that moisture by a finished product that weighs more than an un-brined piece of meat.

For turkeys we use salt/sugar and spices. Either you're a fan or you're not I think. :)

Could be...the venison I've tasted that's been brined didn't have near the flavor or juiciness of the meat when not brined. It was tough, dry and tasteless every time.

I know why they brine commercial chicken and turkey, as it has very little flavor on its own, but I'd never do it to my chickens raised here, as the flavor they have is exceptional on its own.

I'm thinking that people who regularly fry, roast or broil meat may use this technique more than others? We normally only fry the tenderloin or burger and maybe even do a neck roast now and again, but mostly we can up our deer so tenderness is never a problem.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My former husband (can't call him dh, lol) killed one of those trophy bucks one time. Deer didn't even have all his teeth, lol. Not tasty at all... nope...not at all! But his mount was purty! Maybe he woulda been one to benefit from brining?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is hard to cook, if you're not used to it. Honestly I mostly make stews and chilis out of it, occasionally fry some up but I don't like it as much that way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to fry up the tenderloins...that's some pretty darn tasty eating there. But - I've gotta admit you sure can't beat venison chili...it just lends a depth of flavor that I think is lacking in factory beef.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We usually only eat the tenderloin and backstraps as steak and the rest goes to burger, fresh frozen or canned, and jerky. Used to eat more of the deer in steaks but they do require much tenderizing, whereas the tenderloin and backstraps do not.

Sometimes we get that loin in the pan while the deer is still twitchin'! :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last venison roast I cooked with lots of garlic, red wine and a little rosemary....wasn't bad at all. But that was a few years back and a few glasses of wine ago...maybe I dis-remember, lol!!