Defending Yourself, Your Family, and Your Homestead after TSHTF

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My biggest worrys are

we live kinda out from all are close friends and family. We would have to walk there. Someday we are getting horses again. Gonna make sure they are trained to pull as well.

Then I have a bottle baby at the moment. What would I do for her food?

Hubby cant live with out his meds what would we do?

We have the dogs and the guns but the rest? My chickens and garden will only go so far.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
ninny said:
My biggest worrys are

we live kinda out from all are close friends and family. We would have to walk there. Someday we are getting horses again. Gonna make sure they are trained to pull as well.

We have the dogs and the guns but the rest? My chickens and garden will only go so far.
I understand completely. We have no immediate family within about 450 miles. I do have some extended family within 50 miles, but I would be fetching them and bring them to our home due to their age.

The lack of formula and medicine in a real TSHTF scenario would be a nightmare. One for which unfortunately, I have no answer for. The US population in general, and the rest of the industrialized world for that matter, is ill prepared to handle a widespread disruption of services. All we can do is prepare the best that we can with our limited resources, and pray that it never happens.

Edited to correct FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
ninny said:
My biggest worrys are

I understand completely. We have no immediate family within about 450 miles. I do have some extended family within 50 miles, but I would be fetching them and bring them to our home due to their age.

The lack of formula and medicine in a real TSHTF scenario would be a nightmare. One for which unfortunately, I have no answer for. The US population in general, and the rest of the industrialized world for that matter, is ill prepared to handle a widespread disruption of services. All we can do is prepare the best that we can with our limited resources, and pray that it never happens.

Edited to correct FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome)
Im super freaked out about my hubby. My baby id could do have to put her on real milk i guess. I've tried talking to his doctors about natural alteratives but they just look at me funny. So im starting my own research into it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am diabetic. I talked with a nurse practitioner whom I knew was sympathetic to my very low income state. She wrote me a prescription for double the dose of metformin that I usually take, or 1000 mg once a day became twice a day. I get the rx filled at WalMart every three months for $20. I am actually receiving six months worth of medicine for the price of three. I vacuum seal the extra, date it and freeze it. That will extend the life of the medication to more than one year past it's written expiration date. Of course, that will run out some day, but it will give me a fighting chance for at least two years longer than I would have otherwise.

As well, medications don't turn poisonous on their expiration date. Some change their chemical structure slightly, others simply lose potency.

As far as formula, your baby ought to need it only until about age two. If you use powder, freeze some cans. If you use liquid, switch to powder anyway because then you know what kind of water the baby is getting. That's me, preaching to you!

Above all, be calm. There are solutions to everything.

Once TSHTF globally, we are all going to be left to our own devices. Get ahead of the game by making a plan and implementing it NOW.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
Im super freaked out about my hubby. My baby id could do have to put her on real milk i guess. I've tried talking to his doctors about natural alteratives but they just look at me funny. So im starting my own research into it.
Our ancestors (grandparents, greats & great-greats) used goat's milk when they needed a wet nurse, but didn't have one.
And after weaning, babies can eat what you eat, just mush it up and/or dice it fine.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The lack of formula and medicine in a real TSHTF scenario would be a nightmare.
My copy of Nourishing Traditions list several recipes for formula. Plus if you KNOW you can't get formula, what do you think those bumps in the front of your sweater are for?

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The lack of formula and medicine in a real TSHTF scenario would be a nightmare.
My copy of Nourishing Traditions list several recipes for formula. Plus if you KNOW you can't get formula, what do you think those bumps in the front of your sweater are for?
I was going to say the same thing I brestfeed two of my kids and it was so easy no water to purify, no milk to sour ,right on hand when ever the baby was hungry ;)just pop it out and feed a way kiddo :lol:

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:( My baby was to sick and weak at birth to breastfeed. Then when she was better she was hooked on the bottle. Some people don't have a choice when it comes to these things. I would have love to breastfeed her. Please remeber not every woman can breastfeed either. I have a few friends who can't for several different reasons.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh oh... I know... I know... aren't they to make some dumn ass program.... where some dear teen kidos show of their boobies for a dolar or a t-shirt? :lol:

OK.. That was mean. But when I see one of those from time to time on the net somewhere I just go :he

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ninny said:
:( My baby was to sick and weak at birth to breastfeed. Then when she was better she was hooked on the bottle. Some people don't have a choice when it comes to these things. I would have love to breastfeed her. Please remeber not every woman can breastfeed either. I have a few friends who can't for several different reasons.
That's understandable, and I'd go with the goat's milk if you can't nurse - that's if the goat's would be an option for you.

Mom's who can't nurse could also use a pump and pump their own milk to feed baby in a bottle.

I also want to say that I don't believe babies are born allergic to Mom's milk, more likely IMO, they are allergic to something Mom ate. So mom's who want to nurse but can't because they think their child is allergic, well, just be careful of what you eat. Baby eats what Mom eats.