Deflation followed by hyperinflation?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, it is difficult to guess, so I focus on things I am going to need regardless. My last bulk purchase was TP and garbage bags from Costco. No matter how much I buy there never seems to be enough...LOL

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes, it is difficult to guess, so I focus on things I am going to need regardless. My last bulk purchase was TP and garbage bags from Costco. No matter how much I buy there never seems to be enough...LOL
That is what we are doing, focusing on things that I KNOW we will need to survive. Guns and ammo will put food on the table and keep anyone else from trying to steal it.:D No perishable food stuffs, water, toilet paper etc. My next major purchase is a large heavy gun safe. It will be used to keep not only the firearms in, but also any cash or other valuables.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Despite my sarcastic deleted post having great elements of truth and wisdom I decided I should be a little nicer and remove it.

CJHames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Much of the canned goods sold at that time were near their expiration dates. Worthless as a long term food supply when the cans bulged or rusted through within 12 months of purchase.
That's good stuff. I don't know why, but I hadn't even considered the possibility that expiration dates would shrink on canned goods. We started buying in September and have dates between 12-20 mos out. But what if the dates shrink to 6 mos before expiration, for example. (Lack of food) for thought. One more thing to stay on top of.

I wonder if there's a way we could monitor this throughout the country. Some sort of an "early warning signal."

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
CJHames said:
We started buying in September and have dates between 12-20 mos out. But what if the dates shrink to 6 mos before expiration, for example. (Lack of food) for thought. One more thing to stay on top of.
It's really no big deal, though. First, expiration dates on canned goods are "best by" not "must use by or you will die horribly". As long as the can is intact you can eat the contents past the date if you need to, they just may not be as tasty as they were previously.

Secondly, the idea is to USE your stockpiled foods regularly, to rotate stock. So put the newest-purchased cans at the back of the cabinet (or cases of cans at the bottom of the pile) and be eatin' from the frontmost topmost oldest ones. That prevents you from waking up one morning on day 5 of a massive state-shutting-down blizzard and discovering the only canned food in the house is dated 1999 :p

(e.t.a. - also, it is wise to check the dates on cans being offered on Really Big Sale, as they're often cans getting close to their expiration date (which I believe is what the above post about Y2K was referring to -- mfrs and businesses dumping old inventory in the guise of special Y2K stock-up sales.) Before buying, decide whether the cans are 'fresh' enough to be worth it to you.)

Have fun,

Pat, who never really grasped the point of using storage space stocking up on *toilet paper* specifically - I mean, I like quilted softness as much as the next person but it is not like ample numbers of survival-type substitutes aren't ready to hand pretty much everywhere :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
expiration dates on canned goods are "best by" not "must use by or you will die horribly". As long as the can is intact you can eat the contents past the date if you need to, they just may not be as tasty as they were previously.

Secondly, the idea is to USE your stockpiled foods regularly, to rotate stock
Exactly! Rotate the stock!

Pat, who never really grasped the point of using storage space stocking up on *toilet paper* specifically - I mean, I like quilted softness as much as the next person but it is not like ample numbers of survival-type substitutes aren't ready to hand pretty much everywhere
SO we can trade for other things we need more with people who refuse to live without their quilted softness? :gig

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I did not think about rope & wire either will add that to the list of items to get too. Thanks. Still working on dh about the ammo!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with so much fencing wire is something I have.

also remember why stock much when you know you can easily clip some wire from a fence if needed........remember to look around you people...what we have is invaluable in its own right. use of what we have is a way to save money and not buy a ton to think we are stocking up.

just mentioning it.

Not alot of rope but everywhere I look around here is rope.

I have a bird feeder hanging on a piece of rope. Hmm....if I need that rope I will rob it..HA HA HA