Deflation followed by hyperinflation?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I understand the fiscal outlook and agree things look grim. But I see another side - I just don't see that the average American will refrain from spending for all that long. Two months ago, my local Home Depot was deserted. Yesterday it was busy. I had to circle around the parking lot (twice!) to find a parking space to get into the Barnes and Noble (for pete's sake - you can get books for free from the library!). The Wal Mart was packed and had long lines. I think the average person is only capable for contracting their spending for so long and then they lose interest and decide they'd rather have that new thing-a-ma-jig. Granted, a guy in the Home Depot was talking about being out of work, but he was still there, spending, spending, spending.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
me&thegals said "Not everyone is here to escape gov't tyranny. Many are here to save money, learn new skills, socialize with like-minded people, pass on knowledge. "
So true- and so useful.

I don't mind getting a different perspective or even hearing people's fears (some.) But when arguments turn into a minature version of one of the "me vs them" radio talk shows, it just gets boring.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
CJHames said:
Big Daddy said:
Where were all the critics of massive deficit spending when Bush was in office? His final farewell was a 760 billion dollar bailout for the wealthy. He used his usual scare tactics.
I don't know. I think most of us cried about the "No Bank Left Behind Act". I know I called 64 Senators personally. 64. Did me no good, but atleast when my grandkids say "what did you do about this debt I've been given ..." I could look them in the eye and say I did all I could do without shooting people. :lol:

Hey, is anyone buying any gold these days?
The only precious metals I am buying, is in the form of Copper jacketed lead, or lead balls.:D:D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
CJHames said:
Big Daddy said:
Where were all the critics of massive deficit spending when Bush was in office? His final farewell was a 760 billion dollar bailout for the wealthy. He used his usual scare tactics.
I don't know. I think most of us cried about the "No Bank Left Behind Act". I know I called 64 Senators personally. 64. Did me no good, but atleast when my grandkids say "what did you do about this debt I've been given ..." I could look them in the eye and say I did all I could do without shooting people. :lol:

Hey, is anyone buying any gold these days?
The only precious metals I am buying, is in the form of Copper jacketed lead, or lead balls.:D:D
:thumbsup

Trying to get dh convienced this is a good investment. He is gone for 10hrs a day 5 days a week & the kids & I are here alone no dogs. So if someone trys to steal the chickens or from my garden I will be more than ready for them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The only precious metals I am buying, is in the form of Copper jacketed lead, or lead balls
LOL :thumbsup

If things do really hit the fan, you can't EAT GOLD! I think gold investing is risky and there are a million better things I could spend my money on.

I am stocking up on non-perishable food items, replacing some tools that have worn out, got a stove because ours was falling apart, got new tires for the car, picking up useful items on clearance (nails, screws, wood, fabric, arrows, rope, wire, etc...), trading for seeds....
You get the idea.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Rope and wire are two that I missed, so useful.

It's difficult to guess what might be more subject to hyperinflation.

Going back to the Y2K reference, toilet paper was constantly on sale. I could get six 4 roll packs for a dollar, good brands too. After Y2k it was several dollars for one 4 roll pack. What happened? What will happen? I guess it's all a personal judgment call.

Much of the canned goods sold at that time were near their expiration dates. Worthless as a long term food supply when the cans bulged or rusted through within 12 months of purchase. Were the warehouses using Y2K to clean out inventories?

I think discussions on this are useful, I've just added two things to my list, thanks.