Dehydrated/Freeze Dried Meat/??????

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been going round and round with myself whether or not to order the freeze dried meat combo from www.beprepared.com.
Have any of you tried them and if so what are your thoughts...
Thank you.. !!!!!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have them but they are so expensive I have not opened them, I figure I won't be too picky if I need them :D Sorry I can not be of more help :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me too. I bought some, but haven't opened them either.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never bought them but thought about it... instead I ended up buying an Excalibur dehydrator....

I read some articles on drying meat and they said for stew meats boil it until it's half cooked then dry it out till fully dry.... make sure it's extra lean meat so it won't go rancid... then pack in airtight container with oxygen absorber or foodsaver bag with the air pumped out... Keep out of light as well... Should last years....

Since I've just got my dehydrator I haven't got around to doing the stew meats but I did a batch of jerky... it lasted a month at room temp... I left it chewy too... it was in a mason jar with the air pumped out... Would have tested it longer but jerky never lasts long around here... LOL

I figured the price of the dehydrator would pay for it's self... where as the if you buy the cans of meat that 's all you will ever have... with the dehydrator you can make several batches as well as dry veggies for storage and stews as well!

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you want to go the prepared route, check out the TVP from augason farms via the Sam's Club website. It is much cheaper than emergency essentials.

I will try the hamburger rocks! :p

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL is the TVP not real meat??????
Thanks everyone for you input so far... Need to look for a grinder.. I have wanted to buy meat on sale and grind some of it into hamburger.. store's won't do it anymore when it's on sale... I have a food processor but don't know it any of the blades grind meat..
I'll check into a dehydrator also.. What are some of ya'll suggestions for it..
also on my wish list is a canner and a canner or one that will do double duty...

I googled the TVP to see what it was and found this :

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/all_about_textured_vegetable_protein.htm

Might not be a bad idea to have a little on hand.. Just gotta beable to sneak it in with out hubby knowing... He is sooooo picky...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
LOL is the TVP not real meat??????
Thanks everyone for you input so far... Need to look for a grinder.. I have wanted to buy meat on sale and grind some of it into hamburger.. store's won't do it anymore when it's on sale... I have a food processor but don't know it any of the blades grind meat..
I'll check into a dehydrator also.. What are some of ya'll suggestions for it..
also on my wish list is a canner and a canner or one that will do double duty...
TVP is a soy based product.

I am saving up for an excalibur dehydrator. I have a cheapy one now, but really want a nice one. We have the same problem at our house- we have no clue how long the venison jerky will last, because my guys gobble it up! We have used our food processor to make chopped meat- not quite hamburger & not quite stew meat - but have a grinder for burger.

I started out with a water bath canner years ago. It was inexpensive and helped me get the hang of things with 'easy' foods. My MIL sold me a really nice, big pressure canner she had gotten years ago at a garage sale for $5 last year, so now I do quite a bit more.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If he's picky good luck with TVP, my husband knew right away it was not hamburger (I did half and half) and was not happy with me for trying to sneak it in. I got rid of the two cans I had because we are avoiding soy products now.
I have a Nesco gardenmaster dehydrator and it works great, I have used it a lot this year.
I recommend the All American canner due to no seals to worry about changing and it's made in the USA but if cost is an issue Presto makes a fine substitution for a lot less money.
I have a grinder for my kitchenaid mixer they are around 40.00 on amazon, that might be an option.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you !!! I'll stay away from the TVP then... I had been purchasing cans of the canned chicken untill he told me to stop.. He didn't like the smell of it... Now I have about 20 cans... I had made chicken enchiladas with a can and he could tell that I hadn't used fresh chicken.. But then he also has me cook chicken when I buy it outside in the crock pot cause he doesn't like the smell.. Now if it's fried chicken he doesn't say anything..
I bought myself a small piece of fresh salmon earlier in the week and baked it in the oven with a little butter and lemon pepper and had it for lunch the other day.. at supper he told me not to buy it anymore because of the oil leak in the gulf a few months back..
I have about 12 cans of salmon in food storage too.. also tuna... Surely it's safe.