Dehydrated/Freeze Dried Meat/??????

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
thank you !!! I'll stay away from the TVP then... I had been purchasing cans of the canned chicken untill he told me to stop.. He didn't like the smell of it... Now I have about 20 cans... I had made chicken enchiladas with a can and he could tell that I hadn't used fresh chicken.. But then he also has me cook chicken when I buy it outside in the crock pot cause he doesn't like the smell.. Now if it's fried chicken he doesn't say anything..
I bought myself a small piece of fresh salmon earlier in the week and baked it in the oven with a little butter and lemon pepper and had it for lunch the other day.. at supper he told me not to buy it anymore because of the oil leak in the gulf a few months back..
I have about 12 cans of salmon in food storage too.. also tuna... Surely it's safe.
I'm probably wrong here but... isn't most salmon from the cold waters like northern Pacific and northern Atlantic?(I do get some from friends who fish here on Lake Michigan)
Just don't mention radioactive around hubby.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OOPs got it wrong I can't buy it because of the radiation from Japan... Can't buy shrimp etc because of the oil spill

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I mean no offense but most shrimp is farmed and most wild caught salmon is far healthier than their farm raised counterparts which are unnaturally fed/grown and injected with dyes for color. Your hubby sounds extremely picky and would be cooking for himself :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I mean no offense but most shrimp is farmed and most wild caught salmon is far healthier than their farm raised counterparts which are unnaturally fed/grown and injected with dyes for color. Your hubby sounds extremely picky and would be cooking for himself :p
Hmmm..., I've never had farm raised shrimp, only gulf shrimp. There was a company about 60 miles from here that was raising prawns (fresh water shrimp), and I was looking forward to trying them, but someone left a valve open between the fish ponds and the shrimp ponds. All they ended up with was some fat and happy fish. :lol: So I bought the fish.

I would like to try drying shrimp in the dehydrator. In the distant past, I've sun dried shrimp, but it was a pain in the rump because the kept evaporating. All of the neighbors LOVED sun dried shrimp. One day I came home from work and there six of my neighbors, sitting in lawn chairs in my back yard, eating sun dried shrimp and drinking beer. At least they brought their own beer. :rolleyes: I didn't mind really, because they were always bringing by fish, crawfish, satsuma oranges, venison, homemade strawberry or watermelon wine, etc. One of the neighbors went home and got me my own six pack. I miss those guys.

I may try making some jerky this weekend.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am an avid bag checker and most in my supermarkets are farm raised, I am no expert ;) but we eat a lot of shrimp. I am fascinated with people growing out freshwater prawns in their backyard ponds, someday..... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/11/raising-your-own-shrimp.html

*ETA, I will still take my chances with gulf shrimp over farm raised any day! Farmed shrimp/fish are mostly raised in China and Southeast Asia in not so great conditions.

A reference I use when making seafood choices http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=20

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The backyard prawns have always intrigued me also. I had a small swimming pool "pond" that I raised some bass and catfish in years ago, and even a small aquaponic system with catfish for a while, but I would love to try prawns because I am a shrimp addict. We make twice yearly pilgrimages to south Louisiana and purchase 75 to 100 pounds of shrimp, as well as boudin sausage, hogshead cheese, and other Louisiana products. We'll be making another pilgrimage this November. :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jealous! I could eat shrimp/prawns daily I think :D I am landlocked at the moment but I grew up on the water in the PNW. Clams, oysters, salmon, trout are many things I miss about home :hit When we retire, it will be on the water!

I will have to do a search on drying shrimp at home, I have eaten it from the Asian market.