Dehydrated Milk?

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can anyone give me recommendations for which brand of dehydrated milk you found least objectionable? The regular powdered stuff is just plain nasty for anything other than cooking.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I actually use the stuff Winco sells in their bulk food section and don't find it bad at all. The key is to plan ahead on what you think you'll need and make it up the previous night and put in the refrigerator so it has a good chill on it by morning.

I have just one kid left at home and he's really not much of a milk drinker and neither am I. I got tired of throwing out the "real" stuff that went bad. I absolutely hate wasting food of any kind and it didn't seem to matter how small an amount I bought, some always got tossed.

So, I find that if I know I'm going to want oatmeal in the morning, I'll mix up a small amount the night before and I have no problems at all with taste.

I don't know if you have a Winco near you but if you do I'd suggest trying their bulk food brand (whatever it is :rolleyes:).

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wont use any powdered milk. Not only does it taste horrible, the process used to make it turns a perfectly nice food into a nutritional nightmare.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I don't have winco's near me (never heard of it actually) if you look on the container it may give you a clue as to who actually makes it....

Morning Moo looks like a good hit, thanks Dacjons! You also led me to another emergency prep site - so extra thanks for that!

And Bee, I know how you feel, but I really want to have a milk substitute that I can store without refrigeration and for extended periods. Do you have another idea??

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I hate powdered milk, although I add it to my yogurt for a bit extra protein- I can't taste it there. What about canned milk? My mother always had canned milk on hand to put in her tea instead of cream and in her oatmeal. Mixed half and half with water it isn't as bad as powdered milk.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
I hate powdered milk, although I add it to my yogurt for a bit extra protein- I can't taste it there. What about canned milk? My mother always had canned milk on hand to put in her tea instead of cream and in her oatmeal. Mixed half and half with water it isn't as bad as powdered milk.
I use it in my yogurt too. Anyone know how to MAKE dehydrated milk powder?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You make it by destroying milk and making it in to an unhealthy toxin instead of a food item...

"A note on the production of skim milk powder: liquid milk is forced through a tiny hole at high pressure, and then blown out into the air. This causes a lot of nitrates to form and the cholesterol in the milk is oxidized. Those of you who are familiar with my work know that cholesterol is your best friend; you don't have to worry about natural cholesterol in your food; however, you do not want to eat oxidized cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, to atherosclerosis. So when you drink reduced-fat milk thinking that it will help you avoid heart disease, you are actually consuming oxidized cholesterol, which initiates the process of heart disease."
http://www.westonaprice.org/Dirty-Secrets-of-the-Food-Processing-Industry.html

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
You make it by destroying milk and making it in to an unhealthy toxin instead of a food item...

"A note on the production of skim milk powder: liquid milk is forced through a tiny hole at high pressure, and then blown out into the air. This causes a lot of nitrates to form and the cholesterol in the milk is oxidized. Those of you who are familiar with my work know that cholesterol is your best friend; you don't have to worry about natural cholesterol in your food; however, you do not want to eat oxidized cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, to atherosclerosis. So when you drink reduced-fat milk thinking that it will help you avoid heart disease, you are actually consuming oxidized cholesterol, which initiates the process of heart disease."
http://www.westonaprice.org/Dirty-Secrets-of-the-Food-Processing-Industry.html
GAH! :barnie I guess I'll have to start using whole milk in my coffee again!