Dehydrated Milk?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
xpc said:
Are there any suggestions for a milk substitute for cooking that can be kept for a fairly long time? I am always without fresh milk for a month at a time which limits what can be made. I bought 2 gallons of powdered for $7 but is pure crap to drink and used in cooking but most recipes call for whole or at least 2% and powder is fat free so I don't think it works well for that either.

I also just recently found out that corn muffins bake into a flat crumbly mess without eggs too.
Disclaimer!!! I'm just putting this out there :D Right now we have a bottle baby lamb. This means that we have to give her powdered lamb milk replacer, which is full fat etc. Well, my kids are the ones who are doing the bottle feeding, and when the lamb is done and there is still some left in the bottle, they have been known to drink the remainder. I discovered thta the kids were doing this, becaasue they came running into the house , saying--Mom!! If this is what sheeps milk tastes like, it's awesome!!!!!!! that being said, I am in now way suggesting you go out and buy lamb milk replacer, I'm just saying.... so don't bash me :hide :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nestle's makes a canned table cream that isn't too bad. I am also a big fan of coconut cream. Faraon brand is the best. No added sugar. I get the table cream at Walmart or other grocery stores near the ethnic foods section. The Faraon Coconut Cream I have to get at the mexican market. There are other brands of coconut milk you can get in the oriental foods section at your regular grocery store. They are good too but the Faraon is thicker.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
xpc said:
Are there any suggestions for a milk substitute for cooking that can be kept for a fairly long time? I am always without fresh milk for a month at a time which limits what can be made. I bought 2 gallons of powdered for $7 but is pure crap to drink and used in cooking but most recipes call for whole or at least 2% and powder is fat free so I don't think it works well for that either.

I also just recently found out that corn muffins bake into a flat crumbly mess without eggs too.
Disclaimer!!! I'm just putting this out there :D Right now we have a bottle baby lamb. This means that we have to give her powdered lamb milk replacer, which is full fat etc. Well, my kids are the ones who are doing the bottle feeding, and when the lamb is done and there is still some left in the bottle, they have been known to drink the remainder. I discovered thta the kids were doing this, becaasue they came running into the house , saying--Mom!! If this is what sheeps milk tastes like, it's awesome!!!!!!! that being said, I am in now way suggesting you go out and buy lamb milk replacer, I'm just saying.... so don't bash me :hide :lol:
:yuckyuck :lol: :lol:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Considering it contains dried skin milk and dry corn syrup, I would pass on it :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The canned stuff last a long long time. Especially the coconut milk. As for recipes, you will have to test them. I don't eat flour, so I can't say if it will work. I have used coconut milk to make almond meal pancakes, but the texture is different anyway so that isn't a good test.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL

I have a wheat intolerance. I also react very badly to grains and starches in general...it makes me break out in FAT :D