Deja Vu all over again?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's not that I feel so strongly 'against the government', it's that the government in many ways continues to infringe on my individual rights. I'm a citizen because I was born here, and am very proud of the fact that I lived, for many years, in a free society. That free society is being eaten away by more and more laws and government constructs that cost billions and trillions of dollars (we won't even begin to discuss the guns, there's no point, because you don't want to see the obvious effort to disarm American citizens). I'll continue to 'feel strongly against the government' while they continue to eat away at my personal freedoms, and fight mightily to keep them. You can sit on the sidelines and ride whatever tide comes in.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't hear people, (especially not me) advocating sitting on the side lines! On the contrary I am pleading with people to get involved. And, after the last 2000 plus days of the extreme loss of civil liberties the current issues are minimal. Your individual "rights" end at your nose. You've gotten more back here recently than you have lost.

Twenty two years ago I signed on the dotted line to defend this country and all in it. I carry a copy of the constitution on me at all times. I have the majority of it memorized. All of it, not just the bill of rights. I will defend to the death your right to tell me you hate me. So go ahead.

The only thing I ask is that you give due diligence to what "rights" you think are being lost and think long and hard about Jefferson's opinion of democracy. Jefferson said that democracy was mob rule and that what this country was based on was representative republic. The fallacy that this is supposed to be a "pure democracy" is one of the most damaging concepts we have. There is no such thing as pure democracy and there is no such thing as pure capitalism.

Reaction score
Actually I don't sit on the sidelines. I put in a lot of effort to help Obama get in to office. I could not put up with what the prior administration was doing to my country. When the government wants to control what goes on in my bedroom it's time for a change.

It's too bad you have been made paranoid about your right to posses arms. We have had that right through Democratic and Republican administrations. The Republicans use it as a method of keeping their flock together. It is just another fear tactic. All the Democrats want is gun control. If you are a law abiding citizen what is wrong with having your gun registered? The answer is nothing except that you are afraid they will take them away. I'm glad I'm not an NRA member. I have enough worries.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On Our own said:
Jefferson said that democracy was mob rule and that what this country was based on was representative republic. The fallacy that this is supposed to be a "pure democracy" is one of the most damaging concepts we have. There is no such thing as pure democracy and there is no such thing as pure capitalism.
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

By the way, Thanks for your service. :thumbsup

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy, I am tired of you calling me paranoid. This is descending into name calling, something I have not done. If you want this discussion to continue you'll stop the direction you're headed in.

Reaction score
Sorry I did'nt realize paranoid was name calling. But since you are the moderator I will comply.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just don't want the conversation to go the way you're leading it. I don't pull rank lightly.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
It's not that I feel so strongly 'against the government', it's that the government in many ways continues to infringe on my individual rights. I'm a citizen because I was born here, and am very proud of the fact that I lived, for many years, in a free society. That free society is being eaten away by more and more laws and government constructs that cost billions and trillions of dollars (we won't even begin to discuss the guns, there's no point, because you don't want to see the obvious effort to disarm American citizens). I'll continue to 'feel strongly against the government' while they continue to eat away at my personal freedoms, and fight mightily to keep them. You can sit on the sidelines and ride whatever tide comes in.
reinbeau I am posting this to put it in public. I think we have all had a good discussion on many hot topics on this forum. But, you may want to recognize that this post I quoted above was fairly offensive - to me at least. In it I hear my perspective being referred to as ignorant.

The use of personal pronouns in a post such as this invited people to assume you are speaking to them. I don't think BD meant to call you a name so much as name what he perceived as a state of mind. One that applies to any number of people. (Not to put words in your mouth BD let me know if I overstep)
I will not overstep your authority as moderator, I just respectfully request that you recognize that it does not give your opinions more weight than those of any others.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't expect my opinions to carry more weight at all. I do feel as though those of us who are very aware and wary of government intrusion are being called nuts, paranoid, somehow kooky for being so aware and wary. Don't think for one minute I think my opinion is better than you or yours, but don't expect me and those who think like me to slide into complacency. I wasn't happy with the past administration, and am very unhappy with the current. The past pretended to be 'conservative', it wasn't - they were busy grabbing freedoms, too. I am a great believer and follower of those who wrote our Constitution and those who defend it. The quote below isn't paranoid, it's relevant.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Reaction score
Reinbeau, I would respectfully like to suggest that perhaps you should use a second sign in name that does not include moderator in it. Then you could post your opinions without the implied authority that moderator adds to it. having moderator under your moniker doesn't matter when giving advice, but when giving opinions on a political or religious topic it seems inappropriate.

JMO