Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to start to answer some of the questions, don't know how far I'll get tonight. So, here goes.

01. Name? First name, Denim, last name Deb

02. Gender? Female

03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Neither

04. What is your favorite color? Forest green

05. What is your favorite kind of gum? The kind that holds my teeth in place. So far, I still have them all.

06. How much do you weigh? 125

07. How tall are you? 5'4.5" (And, don't forget that half!)

08. Can you swim? yep

09. Do you like to swim? only if it's hot out

10. Living arrangement? I live in a house

11. What's on your mouse pad? My daughter's mouse has it's own pad. Don't want it running around the house.

12. Favorite board game? None

13. Favorite magazine? None

14. Favorite Actor? None

15. Favorite Actress? None

16. Do you have an accent? Depends on who you ask

17. Favorite smells? Horses, leather, white pine trees, a wood fire to name a few

18. Least favorite smells? Cigarette smoke, diesel fumes, or any other smell that triggers my meniere's disease

19. Favorite sound? Don't have one. There are many sounds I like

20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Yes

21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Who?

22. Pencil or pen? Pencil-kind of hard to erase pen

23. Who's better - boys or girls? You need to ask?

24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? Since I already own one, does that count?

25. Do you sing in the shower? Nope

26. Who's the best looking Disney character? I haven't a clue!

27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Going back to bed

28. How many rings before you answer the phone? Depends on how far away from it I am

29. How do you want to die? Peacefully

30. Have you ever called a 900 number? Not that I recall

31. Gold or silver? Yes

32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? Not intentionally

33. Do you like dressing up? Depends on what you call dressed up. For me, that's a clean pair of jeans, and a shirt w/out manure stains on it

34. Would you rather be short or tall? I'm happy w/my height

35. Do you enjoy reading? Yes

36. What book are you reading now? Happiness Hill

37. Favorite books? Don't have any

38. What was the last movie you saw? I'm not sure

39. Favorite movies? I like some of the old ones, like 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, Support your local sheriff/gunfighter, etc

40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Not normally. The animals all have their own place to sleep.

41. What is your sign? No trespassing!

42. What are your personality traits? Do you really want to know?

43. What's your biggest fear? having my Meniere's disease progress rapidly

44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? Only if it would help me get younger

45. Future child's name? I'm not having any more children! 2 are enough

46. Favorite foods? Chocolate

47. Chocolate or vanilla? I think I already answered this question

48. Do you like to drive fast? No

49. Storms - cool or scary? Yes

50. Do you like to dance? Depends on what you call dancing

51. Do you do drugs? No

52. Do you smoke? No

53. What do you think of people who smoke? If they want to, that's their business, just stay away from me

54. Do you drink? Does water count?

55. Favorite drink? Hot chocolate

56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Yes

57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Sometimes

58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? One that pays me for doing nothing and doing it at home.

59. What's your "type"? Only typing I do is on my computer.

60. Do you bite your nails? Only if I have a tear, and can't find the nail clippers.

61. Any siblings? Yes, 2 brothers and a sister

62. What movies have you cried in? I haven't been in any movies

63. Do you believe in God? Yes

64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? Probably

65. Have you ever stolen anything? No

66. Do you procrastinate? I'll get back to you on that one

67. Do you believe in fate? No, I believe in God

68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Don't watch it

69. Do you organize your CD's? No

70. What is your favorite kind of music? Hymns, gospel, praise and worship, classical

71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Don't have one

72. What was the last CD you got? Haven't a clue

73. MTV or VH1? Neither

74. Who do you admire the most? Couldn't really say

75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? Nope

76. Are you single? Nope

77. Favorite TV show? Don't watch much TV. Most of it is trash. I like the old shows.

78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? Me personally, I'm a brunette

79. Glasses or contacts? Glasses

80. What color are your eyes? Blue/green hazel

81. What is your natural hair color? Brown

82. But what color is it now? Brown

83. Have you ever been in love? Yep

84. Any pets? Yes

85. Good, decent, or poor grades? Pretty good

86. Is the glass half empty or half full? Right now, it's all full. Other days, it's half full

87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? Yes. I also type w/them on the left keys.

88. What's under your bed? I don't know, I'm afraid to look. For all I know, Jimmy Hoffa could be stashed under there.

89. What is your favorite number? 29

90. Favorite sport to watch? Baseball

Ok, that wasn't as bad as I expected! Next entry will be on life.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Welcome, Denim Deb!!! Welcome to the SS forum! :)

You can't have Jimmy Hoffa under your bed...I know for a fact that he is in my attic! :cool:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, that's a load off of my mind!

I can't find the book I was reading, so I'm reading another one. Hope I don't need to change my answer every time I start to read a different book.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Ok, I figure the best place to start is at the beginning. It's a very good place to start. When you read you begin w/ABC. When you sing you begin w/Do Re Mi.

Oops, sorry about that, got sidetracked for a moment.

I'm the youngest of 4. My dad was born in Glassboro, NJ. My mom was born in Canada. Her parents were missionaries, and when my mom was just a child, the family went to South America. If I remember correctly, 2 of her siblings were born while they were on the mission field. I don't know how long they were there b4 they left SA, and came to the States. I know they lived in several different states b4 coming to Glassboro, and starting a church in the area. My father started to attend that church.

My father went out as a missionary w/a home mission called Village Missions. But, he came back home for a bit to marry his minister's daughter. I'm not sure how many states my parents went to w/this mission. But, my oldest brother was born in Moscow (Idaho), and my other brother and sister were born in Seaside Oregon. They left the mission field, and moved back to NJ. I'm not sure how long they were back in this area, b4 I came along, but there's only 5 years between my oldest brother and myself.

Like most mothers, my mom had a plan for my life. And, that life including for me to be a perfect young lady. Only problem being, she forgot to check w/me. She wanted me to wear dresses. I wanted to wear jeans. I can remember wearing my brothers' old jeans when I was a kid. I can also remember buying my own w/birthday and Christmas money. And, if she wouldn't wash them, I'd hand wash them in the sink.

Every year, we had a large vegetable garden. I always enjoyed working in the garden. I didn't mind weeding. Only problem being, my mom didn't really teach me about planting, harvesting, or anything else that had to do w/a garden-except weeding. The same went for cooking. If I wanted to make something and asked a question, instead of answering my question, or showing me what to do, she'd do it herself. So, I quit trying.

Ok, it's getting late, I'd do more of this later.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Somewhere along on your parents travels they must've left me behind :lol: I tell ya we could be sisters! I HATED dresses too :) My parents never taught me about gardening or cooking or anything else. I dunno why...mom would just rather do it herself. My male parent was an alcoholic, and I sure did not learn anything from him...thankfully ;) I like your journal so far :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Glad to hear that!

As for the alcoholic, my father's father was an alcoholic. I never knew him. He died when I was a baby. And, now my hubby has become one. He didn't drink at all when we got married. But, when he developed IBS, his sister told him to try red wine to control it. He knew that if he ever started to drink he could become an alcoholic, but thought he could handle it. He was wrong. :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Glad to hear that!

As for the alcoholic, my father's father was an alcoholic. I never knew him. He died when I was a baby. And, now my hubby has become one. He didn't drink at all when we got married. But, when he developed IBS, his sister told him to try red wine to control it. He knew that if he ever started to drink he could become an alcoholic, but thought he could handle it. He was wrong. :(
:hugs That's a hard life sister! I have memories I wish I didn't :( Hope he can get some help. My DH was alcoholic when we first got together, and I didn't see it at first...imagine that :rolleyes: Anyway, when he finally figured out what the total cost was going to be....he got his act together ;) Hope your hubs does the same. It's a shame to watch the juice take someone down :(

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow Deb, a missionaries kid huh? I'm a preachers kid...and my parents expected alot more than they got out of me too :>) They raised me to be a preachers wife...yikes! So I learned all there was to do with being a house mom, but was never given the choice of an education or anything like that. My parents didn't garden though, or farm, (my father was worked to death on a farm as a kid and swore he would give his kids better than that for a life... :D )...but my mom sure did teach me how to cook and bake and make a man's mouth water! Lo and behold I married a man who is addicted to take out so my cooking doesn't do a thing for him! Who woulda thought...
Haha our parents always do have the best of intentions! I love them both!

I wore jeans to church once...heehee...we were camping out in the church parking lot (my dad was a travelling preacher) and I happened to bring a ripped up pair with me that were so the rage back then...they were missing a good peice of the butt...oh well...so I snuck them on while my parents were busy getting the younger kids ready. Wouldn't ya know, the pastor of that church called me up to hold a song board and my parents soon discovered I had the nastiest jeans imaginable on! I got a whooping for that one!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Alcoholism is such a problem for so many people, too. My hubby and I both don't drink, but it is because we are both children of double-alcoholics. Both of our moms recovered, but the behavior of our fathers made us both choose to not drink. There are lots of ways now for your hubby to seek help now, when he is ready.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Right now, my hubby isn't ready to seek help. I've called the police on him 2x hoping to give him a wake up call. Didn't work. :( Last time he got verbally abusive when drunk, I got dressed, packed up my laptop and was all set to walk out of the house. He calmed down real quick.

Ok, a bit more of my history.

I don't know if it was being born on the East Coast instead of the West or what, but I was different from the rest of the family. There were some things that we all did, like take piano lessons, go fishing w/Dad, go to church, deliver papers (I started when I was 8 substituting for my older siblings, at 10, I got my own route), etc but that's about where the similarities ended. In some ways, I was more of a boy than my brothers. I was the one that climbed trees, played stick ball (no one had a bat, we used a broom handle) and played street hockey. I was asked once why I played hockey w/all the boys. I told them I liked to have all the boys fighting over me. I was the best goalie they had! I hated dolls, but when I was little, people always gave them to me.

We lived in the middle of a smaller town. My dad built a play house when we were kids, but I was the one that basically played in it. In my mind's eye, that was my cabin out on the western plains. I took some bricks and large slabs of slate, and built a "fireplace" in it. I made a table and chair. If I could have figured out how to make a cot, I would have. My "horse" was outside. (Really a bicycle w/a piece of string tied to the handlebars for reins.) My dream was to move west, and get a job on a ranch, or better yet, marry the rancher!

I was never encouraged by my parents to even think about college. I wasn't "college material". My older sister and oldest brother were the brains in the family. Not sure what my other brother was considered, but I was the athlete. When I graduated from high school, I had no idea what to do next. So, I applied for a job at a local fruit farm to work in the packing house for the summer. At the end of the summer, they forgot to send me home, so I worked there for a total of 2.5 years. I loved it! I learned how to run the tractors. I could back a tractor up thru the orchards w/a trailer w/40 ft irrigation pipes on it, and never hit a tree. I could run an offset mower thru the orchards mowing, and it was rare for me to hit a trunk. I learned how to run the forklifts.

Then, I met my hubby, and things changed. I don't think my boss ever realized how different he started to treat me, and it wasn't in a good way. I think it was because he was afraid of losing me. And, losing me is what happened. I quit. Instead I went back to school as a business major. It was a 2 year course. I only made it half way thru. I was in a car accident, and messed up my back between the 1st 2 semesters. This was also just 3 months b4 I got married. I tried going to school, but found it impossible to sit.

When we 1st got married, we were poor, but happy. Our furniture was all hand me downs. The only thing we did buy was a washer and that was because the only laundromat in town was not in a nice section of town. We had no couch, but the landlord had one and asked if he could leave it in the house since he had no place to put it. Our TV was black and white. We had 1 car. If I needed anything from the store while my hubby was at work, I'd walk there and take a small backpack w/me, get what I needed, then walk home. We didn't really have a garden because my hubby's BIL had a farm. He grew tomatoes and cucumbers. I'd get all that I needed from him, and make my own tomato "gravy" and pickles.

Ok, that's all for now.

Latest posts