Department of Labor Proposes to Stop Youth 16 or Younger from Working

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I posted my comment. Lets see how many farmers we can put out of business so ALL of our food comes from China. God forbid we keep people working in the US and keep kids busy and out of trouble.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got this from that the link

The proposed agricultural revisions would impact
only hired farm workers and in no way compromise the statutory child
labor parental exemption involving children working on farms owned or
operated by their parents.

hmmm....I also think states make their own labor laws for what age kids can legally work as an employee, don't they????

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
It does say that FC but...from what I understand it also says that farms operated by grandparents where those same children might work would be affected. I may be wrong or have misunderstood - but I thought I read that somewhere. But I did not pay that much attention to it. Like most everything else on all these new laws that are being passed all I can say is come and get me. My 3 year old granddaughter will still feed the goats and tend the chickens. Her pay will be eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cause thats all she wants - eggs, scrambled, with a little salt an pepper. LOL KIDS and their strange eating habits.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well truly I would be paying my kid under the table if younger than 18 anyway :lol:

it is when you truly 'hire' someone on payroll the govt kicks in big time

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I got this from that the link

The proposed agricultural revisions would impact
only hired farm workers and in no way compromise the statutory child
labor parental exemption involving children working on farms owned or
operated by their parents.

hmmm....I also think states make their own labor laws for what age kids can legally work as an employee, don't they????
It does affect the kids working on uncles and aunts and grandparents' farms though - which are not owned and operated by their parents.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gotcha but it is only if they are paid employees tho right?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks, Anna, you are absolutely correct. It also affects kids (like mine) who were planning to work on the neighbors farm, too.

My understanding if you aren't formally paying some in these situations (like under the table suggested earlier, suggested in jest or or not) and they get hurt, there will be big issues for the farmer.

My BIL with his farm plays by the current rules and treats the kids (family or not) as employees. Too much to lose if something bad happens.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well its to bad, I will be fooling with my projects either way! :D