Deworming a goat in milk

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Does the milk need to be tossed? Caprice needs to be dewormed, and I would hate to have to give all that milk to the dogs, but if I must....... I have googled but not found much info, so I came to those who know :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ivermectin?. I have sheep drench and cattle injectable. From what I have read, cattle injectable is recommended for goats, but it might be possible for me to get something else,if it would be safer for the milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Use the cattle injectable but give it orally. Or use herbal. What worms are you going after?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From everything that I've read Molly's Herbal and Hoeggers is safe to use and still use the milk because they're herbal supplements. But with Ivermectin there is a withdrawl time, but I'm not sure what it is.

The only concern I've read is that the herbal wormers contain wormwood, which is an herb not recommended for pregnant women due to it increasing chances of an abortion. So if you have any small children or pregnant women drinking the milk there might be somewhat of a concern there.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/worm-formula-detailed-information

Bottom of the page has more specific info. Hope that helps some! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not exactly sure, .... her eyelids are pale, I haven't done a fecal yet. But she is losing fur on her back haunches, and she has realy dry skin, so I would guess lice.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I could order Molly's but it would take a while to get here, I proabbly will order some, but use it once I get her fecals clear, for maintence.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm gonnas do a skin scrping and put it under the microscope tomorrow, but i think she has lice, and I'm gonn need the big guns for that. I am gorwing lotsa pumpkins, but I see tha as m ore for maintenence.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would think you'd see lice, wouldn't you? Not sure, haven't dealt with it yet. From what I've read, treatment for external parasites is DE (food grade or garden grade, not pool grade) dusted on the animal taking care not to breathe it in or create a cloud for the animal to breathe it in. Or use ivomec injected.