Deworming a goat in milk

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Does pumpkin work on goats like it does chickens??:idunno
Pumpkin is supposed to help with parasites?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ivermectin?. I have sheep drench and cattle injectable. From what I have read, cattle injectable is recommended for goats, but it might be possible for me to get something else,if it would be safer for the milk.
when we use a chemical wormer we just "worm down the line" and give the milk to the dogs, cats, chickens, pigs etc. i think as long as you dont give it to any of the critters who are too young or too small, you should be fine.

most of the "milk withholding" periods are not listed - but you can find them online. we wait about 2 weeks or so - 30 to be sure.

i think i read somewhere that most chemical wormers DONT have an official witholding time - which makes ya wonder what them commercial diary cows are doing.... hum.

and

some of the wormers are actually used in people so unless you've got babies.. should be ok. you can search on the wormer name and "for use in people" to find out more.

:)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
When I dewormed my goat this spring she had a pretty heavy wormload so I wanted to bring out the big guns. I used Cydectin pour on, but gave it orally as per instructions from my vet. There is no milk withdrawal for that. Some people will freak out and say it's harmful, but my doe had no ill effects and many people dose it that way.

Not everyone likes using conventional dewormers, but my doe was skinny and had a worm load, so I wanted a quick solution to get her feeling back to normal. :)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have lice, I would inject the cattle ivomec. I believe it is dosed at 1cc per 100 lbs if you inject. I know Roll Farm on BYH doesn't even do a withdrawal time with Ivomec but some others do 1 to 2 weeks.

Latest posts