DianeS - Listeria spreading, culling the rabbits

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Sounds like a nice, relaxing day! :lol: And I take it the possom never wandered off, so he was really dead.
Yes, he's still where I put him. I never heard of a possum that could play possum for a whole week, so I think we can safely assume he's "really, most sincerely" dead!

My friend to whom I directed that blog post is a college professor. She spends her days doing e-mail, powerpoint, and standing behind rectangular desks in square classrooms talking to committees. We each think we have it made and that the other one is crazy.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd take your day over her day any day! That kind of life would drive me nuts!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Score at the Goodwill store! An Oster bread machine for only $10. They usually cost $25 there. New ones cost $65 or more at stores like WalMart. It must have just been put on the shelf or it would have been gone.

And I found the manual for it online, downloadable for free!

So far so good with it, it starts and all the buttons work. The LCD screen shows all the correct options. Now to wash it and make sure it really works all the way through baking. It'll sure save me a lot of time if it does, I've been making breads by hand for a while. 48 hour return window if it doesn't work, so I see a lot of bread in my future tomorrow as I check out as many cycles as I can fit in that time window!

Who has a favorite bread recipe they'd like to share? :D

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
2 slightly beaten eggs
3 tbsp sour milk (or, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp milk)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 chocolate chips.

Add ingredients to line to bread pan. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients, then add to bread pan. Place bread pan in bread machine. Select Quick Bread setting and Dark Crust color. Press start button. Do not use timer feature. After 5 minutes, use rubber spatula to get rid of flour pockets in the corners. Remove when complete and enjoy!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhhh, that one looks good! I'm always surprised by how well bananas and chocolate go together. They really, really do. Thanks!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You're welcome. My family loves this and it makes a great gift as well!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the score. Sorry I don't have any good recipes for you...we just don't eat much bread around here so I haven't made any in probably a dozen years or so.....I miss bread....:(

Hi, I'm FEM and I'm a breadaholic - I've been bread/sober for over 10 years.... (except for an occasional cheat...sssshhh!)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honey Butter dinner rolls for bread machine
one egg
milk (crack egg in heat proof measuring cup and measure out milk to 1 1/4 cups on top of egg)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons honey
3 1/2 cups bread flour (or 2 cups bread flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat for WW rolls)
1 heaping teaspoon yeast (active dry, or instant dry, I have used them interchangeably)
1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
about 2 more tablespoons of melted butter after dough is done.

First I put the egg in the microwave safe measuring cup and add milk to the 1 1/4 cup line, whisk well till the egg is all incorporated, add the butter in chunks and then heat in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. Usually just till the butter is melted.
Let the milk/egg/butter mixture cool till it is about 100 degrees F
put it in the bread maker bin and add honey, then the yeast, then the flour and the salt goes last.
set the bread maker to your dough setting.
When the machine is done making the dough take it out and cut it into about 16 equal pieces and roll into tight balls and then dip the balls into the second 2 tablespoons of melted butter and place on cookie sheet or you can put into muffin pans.. let them rise (this takes anywhere from 30 minutes on a really warm day to an hour on cool days if not longer in the winter. I tend to rise them in the oven with the light on and a coffee cup of hot water to warm the oven)
After they have about doubled in size, I bake them at 375 for 20 minutes (or so, most times they might take just a couple minutes more) or until golden brown.
Makes 16 rolls or if you shape them bigger it will make 8 nice hoagie/sub rolls.

I have made this several times if not more and love it. I used to do all the hand kneading but this last winter was hard on my hands ( arthritis) and the machine does make a fine dough, but the bread baked in there is awful! So to make it useful, I figured out the dough setting and have bought a back up of the same model for a $1 at a yard sale..I figure making some kind of bread every other day I might just wear this one out!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found the best score on canning jars today! And it was just next door, too. Estate sales are great in general, and I loved not having to haul this stuff too far.

1711_canning_jars_etc.jpg

And the best part was the cost - just $7 for the whole thing! Ten cents each for the jars ($5.20), and $1.80 for the rest.

Fifty-two canning jars (of all sizes, quilted jam jars through wide-mouth quarts), lids (at least 2 doz still in their boxes), rings (more rings than jars), and two boxes parrafin wax. Now I'm all set to start canning - as soon as I get that canner! LOL! :lol: