DianeS - Listeria spreading, culling the rabbits

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excellent, the quilted jars are $10.99 for a dozen at the stores here so you made out like a bandit. ;)

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a food dehydrator today, from Goodwill! I got a Nesco with four trays and a fruit roll tray. It's this one: http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-60-Snackmaster-Express-Food-Dehydrator/ No instruction booklet, but I'm sure I can find that online and print it.

I'm so excited to try it! I turned it on, it seems to work correctly, the fan comes on and hums nicely and the heat works, too. I have some grapes I harvested and froze, I think I'll defrost some and see how long it takes to make raisins. I am aboslutely loving food storage solutions that don't take up room in the freezer. (An update on the pressure canner - I've used it several times, usually for ground beef, and LOVE it. I'm glad I got the larger one because I *do* use two layers of the pint jars. Definately worth it to me.)

The best part? The dehydrator was marked $20, and was half off that! Just $10! Goodwill is great, especially when it gets to the end of the year. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
On your link, there's a link to what looks like the manual, so you should be good! And, it sounds like a good score.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For the first time, tonight, I ate an animal that I had named. Blah. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about that, but he had to go. There's just no room on this postage-stamp sized homestead for animals that don't produce, and he and his mate produced three litters of dead kits, and only ever one or two at a time.

On the other hand, he tasted good!

It was a rabbit, a French Angora I had named Rex. The pelt will make something nice when I've tanned it. His mate (nameless) and another female (also nameless) are still soaking in the brine. Rabbit tastes good, but I know better than to name rabbits intended for butchering. Rex was supposed to be a breeder, he just didn't cut it.

What have you chosen to do with a livestock animal that you didn't intend to eat, actually named, and then discovered had no use on your place?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had 2 silkies that turned out to be roos. I didn't have time to do anything w/them, and figured they were kinda small anyway, so I took them to a live stock auction. They were named Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've eaten named roosters. The first one was the easiest since he attacked people. Silkie noodle soup! Actually, all the roosters we've eaten have been from his bloodline. Even the females are jerks and I'm ending that line. Just ate his last son last week. Fabio decided to add that last straw on the list. Chicken pasta alfredo for him.

The two barred rock hens that turned out to be evil witches didn't have names. I need to cull the low and no layers this spring. Several of them have names, but just the age means I'll probably take them to auction. Hubby does not care for tough chicken.

Latest posts