Did anyone see that Kohl's commercial?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure these commercials are regional. But the outline of the commercial was a young girl (8th grade or so) getting onto the bus for the first day of school. It shows her mother watching her from the house. You then hear a comforting female voice say something along the lines of "She wanted her to be confident. So she talked to her, listened to her. But FIRST she took her SHOPPING!" Then goes into some kind of monologue about yet another back to school sale.

:th

I know that all commercials are like this. But this one just really jumped out at me.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Well, it's true. How you look is much more important than if you are a good person. All confidence stems from brand names, not accomplishment.

:gig

*waves the sarcasm flag*

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
The commercial JUST came on RIGHT after I read this!! "She encouraged her and reassured her but first she took her shopping!"
I agree with Abi! Looks are everything you know! :gig

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
When you are a teenager, it is very important, that is how you can see when they grow up a little bit, it is no longer as important.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
When you are a teenager, it is very important, that is how you can see when they grow up a little bit, it is no longer as important.
I guess I really grew up! :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
savingdogs said:
I guess I really grew up! :lol:
Yes, but when you think about it, wearing clothes appropriate for an occasion is an important tool for young people to learn. We dress a certain way to go to church, to funerals, to go out to a meal, to go swimming, or to a wedding, or camping. Kids have trouble ever taking off their "cool" clothes, until they learn that it is cool to be wearing APPROPRIATE clothes.

That Kohls commercial was catering to the parents with the MONEY however.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Yes, but when you think about it, wearing clothes appropriate for an occasion is an important tool for young people to learn. We dress a certain way to go to church, to funerals, to go out to a meal, to go swimming, or to a wedding, or camping. Kids have trouble ever taking off their "cool" clothes, until they learn that it is cool to be wearing APPROPRIATE clothes.
Too true. I'm still learning that. I ask everyone what I should wear when I go somewhere. My friends know I don't mean, come pick an outfit for me (well, SOMETIMES...) but that I mean "what are the social rules for dress"...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This is one of the big reasons why I am so pro-homeschooling.....besides the pathetic public school education that is stuck in the industrial age and focused on standardized testing. The social aspects of school are just too "Lord of the flies" for me. I hated school although I was always a high honors student. Sheesh. Fashion still mystifies me. :lol:

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, that commercial was definetely catering to a parent. In a way that says you need to buy your child A, B and C if you really want the best for them. I feel like as a society, we have been told that if you really love your child then you will buy them the most expensive things you can afford (but even if you can't you can still charge it!) Which isn't the case at all.

I'm all for appropriate clothing. As in, if I'm going out to the barn I'll wear my boots. Approriate to me is dressing for weather conditions or the work that you'll be doing. But I never really did understand the we're going to church or out to the store so we need to dress in this matter. To me what's "appropriate" strictly by a how it looks standard is so subjective and culturally based. Appropriate is what we decide to make it. But then again that's probably why my female relatives think I'm a poor excuse for a "young lady". :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Well, Freem, there are two categories of clothing. Wearable and fashion. Wearable means you can wear it. Fashion is art.

Couture is the art of making fashion wearable.

Although they just have fun and throw out ridiculous things because art is art.