Did anyone see that Kohl's commercial?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Well, Freem, there are two categories of clothing. Wearable and fashion. Wearable means you can wear it. Fashion is art.

Couture is the art of making fashion wearable.

Although they just have fun and throw out ridiculous things because art is art.
Having fun with it is the most important part I think. I happen to be the most comfortable in a pair of jeans and a tshirt, so that's what I wear.

When I was a teenager walking through the mall my friends would all make faces at the kids with green mohawks or wearing "crazy" style clothes. Or anything else that was deemed "not appropiate". I always thought it was really cool. Dress how ya wanna I think. I enjoy people who deviate from the social norm, whatever it may be. :)

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
This is one of the big reasons why I am so pro-homeschooling.....besides the pathetic public school education that is stuck in the industrial age and focused on standardized testing. The social aspects of school are just too "Lord of the flies" for me. I hated school although I was always a high honors student. Sheesh. Fashion still mystifies me. :lol:
I'm seriously considering the homeschooling path too, when the time comes.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hoping ya'll won't lynch me .....

Second day of school my daughter chose her own outfit - because it was what all the girls are wearing. I let her - even though I did hesitate and was shocked back into the Punky Brewster era of my childhood. I remember being the kid who was made fun of because my clothes weren't "in style" or "cool" and I also remember being the kid that another classmate would loudly say, "hey, that was mine last year".

That's not to say I'm running out and buying my kids all new clothes. They get 1 new outfit for Christmas and 1 new outfit for birthdays. SOMETIMES we get them 1 new outfit for Easter, depends on our $ situation and the price of outfit.

Now while that commercial is geared towards the parents, it is true that what a child wears affects their confidence level - usually due to the amount of teasing they are going to endure while at school.

The fact is, OTHER kids don't understand financial differences - they don't realize mom/dad/grandma/aunt or whomever is charging up on plastic to get them those super cool confidence building clothes. All they see is I have cool clothes and you don't.

I will also confess, I love it when the kids handmedowns are name brand, or if I find name brand at the thrift store or cheap at a yardsale. My kids usually aren't with me when I hit the goodwills or consignment shops, so they don't even know they are getting handmedowns half the time.

But, having said all that, my kids do get excited over handmedowns, too, because it's "new" to them and we talk excitedly with them about their "new clothes" because I don't want my kids to ever feel about how they are dressed the way I did as a kid.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:

Second day of school my daughter chose her own outfit - because it was what all the girls are wearing. I let her - even though I did hesitate and was shocked back into the Punky Brewster era of my childhood. I remember being the kid who was made fun of because my clothes weren't "in style" or "cool" and I also remember being the kid that another classmate would loudly say, "hey, that was mine last year".

That's not to say I'm running out and buying my kids all new clothes. They get 1 new outfit for Christmas and 1 new outfit for birthdays. SOMETIMES we get them 1 new outfit for Easter, depends on our $ situation and the price of outfit.

Now while that commercial is geared towards the parents, it is true that what a child wears affects their confidence level - usually due to the amount of teasing they are going to endure while at school.

The fact is, OTHER kids don't understand financial differences - they don't realize mom/dad/grandma/aunt or whomever is charging up on plastic to get them those super cool confidence building clothes. All they see is I have cool clothes and you don't.

I will also confess, I love it when the kids handmedowns are name brand, or if I find name brand at the thrift store or cheap at a yardsale. My kids usually aren't with me when I hit the goodwills or consignment shops, so they don't even know they are getting handmedowns half the time.

But, having said all that, my kids do get excited over handmedowns, too, because it's "new" to them and we talk excitedly with them about their "new clothes" because I don't want my kids to ever feel about how they are dressed the way I did as a kid.
Nope. No lynching here! Lol.

That's certaintly a whole new dimension to add to it. You definetly want whoever is wearing the clothes to be comfortable and confident in it, whatever it may be.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My daughter was a throwback- she LOVED Goodwill and Salvation Army shopping for "new" clothes. She was good at it, too. And, woe to anyone who teased her :ep

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:

Lynch you? I totally agree with you. As a teenager, my mom did not "agree" with the clothing styles, I was a child of the 70s and she was a depression-era mom. So our idea of "appropriate" high school wear was really far apart. It caused a huge rift between us, huge, that we didn't get over for about 15 years. And my parents could have bought me any clothing they wanted, they were well-off.

With my own kids, I vowed that they would not go to school embarrassed. That does not mean we spend a fortune either, we have NEVER been able to or choose that. However, I have always encourage them to have their own style as well as wearing what other children wear. It isn't just the teenage years. Kids can be brutal to one another .......I remember being teased because of the strange things my mom wanted me to wear and crying in frustration that my mother was ruining my life. I shop at used clothing stores for "cool" clothes for the kids and NEVER force them to wear things they hate, even though sometimes their choices have made me really mad or felt wasteful. This year we had the hardest time finding used clothing, more people have caught on to shopping used, so we did have to buy some of my teenage son's clothing new, but we were lucky that we found a lot of it at 1/2 off. But there have been times when my son only had two or three "cool" outfits and we did the wash alot.

I will admit, I'm glad that my older two are grown and the youngest is in high school, I will only have a few more years of worrying about these wardrobe issues.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
QA I totally agree with you, which is WHY I like homeschooling. Stupid kids put too much unnecessary pressure on other kids simply because they are different. As long as the clothes fit, and are clean, and appropriate who cares!? That should never be the central definitive to the worth of anyone, especially a child. JMO. I was picked on too. I told them to shove it.

My kid will never be "in style" so long as the styles are tight, revealing, and tacky, either. She hates me NOW for that. In ten years she'll look thorugh her annual and be glad she never wore THAT :lol: I look back at some of the things my classmates were wearing and wonder how the heck it was EVER considered fashionable in the first place!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
QA I totally agree with you, which is WHY I like homeschooling. Stupid kids put too much unnecessary pressure on other kids simply because they are different. As long as the clothes fit, and are clean, and appropriate who cares!? That should never be the central definitive to the worth of anyone, especially a child. JMO. I was picked on too. I told them to shove it.

My kid will never be "in style" so long as the styles are tight, revealing, and tacky, either. She hates me NOW for that. In ten years she'll look thorugh her annual and be glad she never wore THAT :lol: I look back at some of the things my classmates were wearing and wonder how the heck it was EVER considered fashionable in the first place!!
I think dressing a girl for high school and a boy for high school felt like two absolutely different things.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that commercial is catering to the parents to spend their back to school money at Kohls

I 'see' the 'undetone' also....but it is true that clothes can be important for kids. I know Nicole will definitely get the 'in style' clothes as long as they are suitable for school. I have no problems buying her good clothes...but I can shop sales like crazy. I can get beautiful new clothes for pennies on the dollar. Just gotta know the sales and when they hit lol

Clothes do send a message of your confidence sometimes. I sure don't want a doctor operating on me in dirty ripped jeans and a faded too small t-shirt or something like that. Would give me a creepy feeling LOL......Clothes do give impressions obviously.

We dress nice. The barn clothes are nice til the barbed wire gets them.... which always happens....:p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It really IS easier on kids to be "in". I wasn't saying that this isn't what kids want. I was laughing at the way the ad phrased it to the parents ;)