Different hue eggs =different chicken?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have now collected 5 little green eggs. 3 have been a shade darker than 2 of them...but I am getting them every other day and the shade varies on the day...Mon- darker, Tues- no egg, Wed- lighter egg, Thurs- no egg, Fri - darker egg.

Could this be two different chickens or one based on the pattern?

Obviously I am obsessing about them laying, but today it dawned on me that it maybe be both my EEers are laying......god knows they make enough racket that you would think 2 dozen hens were laying :smack

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dont worry about being obsessive with the egglaying. I do the same thing.

I have one Faux Ameraucana (it is a joke, I was told she was pure, but she is an EE) who lays an olive green egg every other day. Sometimes they are dark and some days light. Somedays speckled and bumpy somedays smooth. (BTW, her name is "Oive". :) )

ETA TYPOS!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I certainly would not call you obsessing! I took pictures and dimensions of every "first egg" the Ladies laid! :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Obsessing? No, I don't think so. I have a spread sheet showing the daily total, and which hen laid (at DH's suggestion it is in color!), and then the month totals, and how many eggs, on average, per day. I also have blown out eggs from each of my 5 girls, to see the different shades, and shapes that they produce. And I'm glad I did that, since my "Faux Americauna" (Thank you BBH), my only green layer, was killed last month.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Obsessing? No, I don't think so. I have a spread sheet showing the daily total, and which hen laid (at DH's suggestion it is in color!), and then the month totals, and how many eggs, on average, per day. I also have blown out eggs from each of my 5 girls, to see the different shades, and shapes that they produce. And I'm glad I did that, since my "Faux Americauna" (Thank you BBH), my only green layer, was killed last month.
NO YOU DONT have a spread sheet!!! That is way too funny!! But secretly I am SO jealous!

I am sorry about your dear EE, they are my favorite flavor of chicken. :(

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I am sorry about your dear EE, they are my favorite flavor of chicken. :(
Mine too. I started with 6 - 2 each of 3 different breeds. The 2 EE's have so much personality; I was quite amazed that chickens could be so personable. Unfortunately, of the 2, the one green layer, and also the one that touched my heart the most, was the one that was killed. Her "sister" is also very sweet, but not quite in the same way - and she lays tan eggs. I want to get a rooster next Spring - do you have any experience with Faux Americauna Roos? My criteria are: handsome, gentle, and good to his ladies.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Shall I send you pictures of the scars on my legs from The-Rooster-Formerly-Known-As-George, gorgeous EE beauty who was quite vicious and only got worse??? I changed his name to DCW (Dead Chicken Walking) until my father could come "take care of business." I was held hostage in my own pasture. Then he started going over the fence, in spite of clipped wing feathers, and patrolling my yard. Sheesh!

They are all individuals, though, and my farmer-dad said he'd never seen a rooster so vicious and with such HUMONGOUS spurs! I doubt he was like this because he was EE, he was just a bad seed. Or a good seed, if he were in the wild.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Could be either scenario, egg color can vary considerably at the beginning of a lay cycle. Congrats on the eggs though! :)

Pat

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With my two EE's they lay very distinct eggs one is olive, one is light green and they have been the same color since the first day laying one year ago. So they may both be laying. Mine started within two days of each other and are more consistant than my RIR and Australorps. They have laid daily since they started with no break for winter etc. I love those girls!

Latest posts