Different hue eggs =different chicken?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!So basically I still don't know :gig

Oh well....I love th spread sheet idea! Too funny :thumbsup

I prefer my EEers over my Australorpes, they definitely have more personality...plus 2 of my 3 blacks look identical in every way, I swear they are twins....so the blend together in their lack of personality!

I went to a friends house last night to borrow a humidifier for DH (it seems to be easing his headache!) and I brought her two kids each a little green egg...they have come over to play with the chicks many many times since I got them in Feb., so I thought they would be really excited :) I held them out and said "surprise! I brought you breakfast" they were a bit stunned...what is in them? baby chicks? what do we do with them? I told them it was an egg, like from the grocery store, but better and prettier...I explained that Honey laid them. The little guy who is 6 just looked at me and said "I still don't get it." mom stepped in and said well, you will see in the morning when we make them for breakfast.

Now that was a bit surprising to me. They know I have chickens. They know that chicknes lay eggs. Are we all really THAT disconnected from our food that a 6 and almost 9 yr old are shocked to see two beautiful little perfect Martha Stewart style eggs and be confused by them because they did not come from a carton? :smack (that is me smacking myself in the head!)

I had to share because you all are the only people that I know who can relate to that story!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just having this conversation a few days ago with my sister. My kids had a sleep over at our house. I asked them to go gather the eggs and the child was like, ummm why? I said because we eat them, this kid looked at me and said "I do not want eggs from chickens mine come from the store" I asked the kids where do you think the store eggs come from and she just shrugged. So we had a little conversation about it. Amazing to me that a 10 year old would make that comment. :th

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My son said the same thing last night.

We were making ice cream and we were working together to gather the ingedients. He asked me to grab the eggs and said "real eggs, not ours" 'Huh? You think those grocery store eggs are real? Here sit down buddy' as I pull up a youtube video of battery hens. I showed him the conditions that they live in, pointed out how many were in each little cage, told him how their beaks are cut to the don't kill each other, pointed out all the raw featherless sick birds and said that is not healthy. Those are sick animals, you think it is better to eat an egg coming from that environment vs our own happy, healthy, well loved chickens who have plenty of room to run around eating bugs and enjoying life?

I could have smacked him!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahhh, those learning moments. I talked to mine over several years about what the food we are eating "really" is. Like pork chops, thats from a pig, not the grocery store.

So now, when we have burgers or steak, I'll ask them what we are eating and they dutifully respond "A COW!"

Only downside is, now they want to know when we can eat the ladies :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My daughter had a friend over for the first time. They spent all afternoon holding and fussing about with the chickens. We even let her friend name one of them.

The next morn the three chickens laid eggs as usual. When the girls (my daughter's friend was extatic!) I showed her which egg came from which chicken. She asked if she could take home the egg her fav chicken laid. Of course since we were having pancakes using the other eggs I already had.

Her mom came and picked her up, looked at the egg with her hands behind her back. I said that she could take it home, and her mom simply asked "Why?"!! Ok nevermind.

ORChick, I have a beautiful Blue Wheaten and a Wheaten Ameraucana pure bred rooster(s) if you are interested. They have been "hands on" raised, so you can just reach down and pick them up. They have been deemed show quality and have been "toe punched" for identification. Trying to find them good homes. (Next year, I will have some baby EEs running around. :fl )

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BBH, I will blow out the egg and give the kid the rinsed shell. I no longer risk wasting my valuable eggs on nincompoops! I also will not sell, at any price, eggs to anyone who will just eat the whites and toss the yokes. I do ask!

The woman who will be milking my goat while I am away for three days came over today to learn, and she brought a friend who will help her (thank goodness, we discovered that they can each milk a side at the same time and maybe get done before Mya is stuffed with extra alfalfa pellets and getting antsy!). The woman has chickens and used to have goats as pets, but has never milked.

Her sister, visiting from Florida, came along to watch. The other two were excited to each take a quart of warm, fresh milk home with them, but the sister was completely grossed out, after seeing the whole process.

Don't these people know how women nurse their babies? Haven't they ever seen it?

Why is it gross to eat or drink healthy, sanitary food from cruelty-free critters? I really don't get it. I can see how people can be out of touch and not think about it.....we are trained with 12-14 years of public school (headstart and kindergarten are less optional in some places) to NOT THINK for ourselves, just let someone else tell you what to read and what the right answers are.

But what really amazes me is when you tell someone the facts, and they look at you like you have three heads (well, if brain power is expressed in number of heads, this must be true! :lol: ) or cut you off and not want to even hear it. SHEESH!!!!!

Keep educating. Maybe more people will sprout that second and third head and start to think, too. :rolleyes:

rileysgranny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My 29 year old daughter wouldn't eat my fresh eggs as first. She thought they were "nasty"! I couldn't believe it! Now she will eat them and feed them to her 2 girls, but she still thinks the chickens are "nasty".

I still run into people who think you have to have a rooster to have eggs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
BBH, I will blow out the egg and give the kid the rinsed shell. I no longer risk wasting my valuable eggs on nincompoops! I also will not sell, at any price, eggs to anyone who will just eat the whites and toss the yokes. I do ask! :rolleyes:
That is a good idea. She didn't take the egg afterall. I thought they could at least fry it up for a taste, but that mom was clearly grossed out. And not a very nice mom I found out later. That was the last time that little girl came over. I felt sorry for her, she was very excited about the prospects of tasting that egg.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Grossed out? I don't get it...although my son obviously feels that way :smack

If you offer the same person a homegrown tomato, they would be excited....don't people see the correlation?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My daughter had a friend over for the first time. They spent all afternoon holding and fussing about with the chickens. We even let her friend name one of them.

The next morn the three chickens laid eggs as usual. When the girls (my daughter's friend was extatic!) I showed her which egg came from which chicken. She asked if she could take home the egg her fav chicken laid. Of course since we were having pancakes using the other eggs I already had.

Her mom came and picked her up, looked at the egg with her hands behind her back. I said that she could take it home, and her mom simply asked "Why?"!! Ok nevermind.

ORChick, I have a beautiful Blue Wheaten and a Wheaten Ameraucana pure bred rooster(s) if you are interested. They have been "hands on" raised, so you can just reach down and pick them up. They have been deemed show quality and have been "toe punched" for identification. Trying to find them good homes. (Next year, I will have some baby EEs running around. :fl )
BBH - Thank you! That is so generous! And you aren't even that far away from me that I couldn't make a trip up to pick him up :D. But I will have to resist the temptation, I'm afraid. I have got a number of things going on this year that make me think I just won't have the time to deal with any new animals. I am thinking of getting chicks in the Spring - a cockerel and 2 pullets - when I will have time to take care of them properly. Maybe if you have chicks when I am ready for them I could buy some from you then?

When my girls starting laying about a year ago DH and I were visiting friends in Canada. My neighbour, who takes care of the cats and chickens when we are away, took a picture of the little brown egg, and sent it to me in an e-mail. She was on her way to a cousin's 10th birthday party, and took him the egg - as I couldn't have it :( I thought that that was a lovely idea. He apparently was thrilled, but I don't know if he actually ate it!

And yes, I am amazed at the number of people who think a rooster is necessary for eggs :hu

Latest posts