Different Strokes for Different Folks - What weird food do you like?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rattlesnake just was too bony for my liking. Frog legs are ok. I try everything at least once.

Chicken feet I just don't understand anymore than I understand pigs feet. It's all just mostly cartilage and such. I have tried both. I'd rather keep the chicken feet for stock. If I can ever find cow feet, I have a recipe from an old cookbook for cow's foot jelly I want to try.

I take all bones from the butcher for stock use. I have cooked marrow bones for eating, though. I have some antique marrow spoons.
I saw a recipe for marrow tacos. I'd love to try it, but haven't had that many marrow bones to make it worth while

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can go with a good fruitcake! I've had conch and turtle..both were good. It's a no for me with gator, tasted fishy and not a fish eater. I only use chicken feet for stock...if I use them at all. They make good stock.

Snake -- never tried and not looking to. 😁 anyone know, are some not edible, do they taste different between types??? Only curious, still not wanting a taste test. The local buzzards were happy with the big rat snake I provided them last year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a quality fruitcake - especially with a nice 'fortified' coffee, lol. My mom used to make fruitcake cookies. Pretty tasty!

Chicken feet - I've always given 'em to the dogs - even though I know I should make stock out of 'em. Eh - dogs deserve treats too! However, some years back some of my Hispanic students worked for me for extra money. They were here once when I butchered chickens and asked if they could take the feet home because their mom loved 'em. Of course they could! (and they got a couple chickens too)

If I were starving I'd probably eat snake - but other than that I dunno. I guess I'd taste it if somebody else did the cleaning and cooking. ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think to most of us in the US - those things would be considered a bit "different." LOL! But I'd try 'em all at least once. I love hearing what folks in other countries eat on a daily basis.

Earlier I mentioned the Hispanic students that used to work to help me around here. Three of the brothers were here one day very early and were outside working as soon as the sun came up. I got them lined out and went in and made breakfast for them. Mounds of bacon, tons of scrambled eggs, a couple dozen biscuits and sausage gravy.

Those teenage boys had never had gravy, lol. Even though they lived only a couple miles away from me it shows that their 'normal' foods were a lot different than our 'normal' foods. Oh - and they loved the gravy lol. They also devoured an entire chocolate cake after lunch. I miss those boys! Shame they couldn't have stayed teenagers forever.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve cooked snake several times. It’s hard to get the snake stink off my hands.
We had lunch with some friends last month. Some of their friends called, they were in from Nashville so of course they were invited too. One of them made a crack about Texans eating armadillo and I said I had. She was stunned-“shut up!” Not only that, I shot’em and shucked ‘em out of their shell. Takes both hands and both feet in case you ever need to know that.
As BBQ they taste a lot like pork, pretty good actually.

Feral hogs might be a weird food to some, but it’s pretty normal here.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only thing about those hogs would be the kill for me -- the hard part, that is, unless I had a gun. Watching a survival show last night, they killed and cooked armadillo. One said he thought taste was between rabbit and chicken. :idunno. Then, they found mice. I watch these sometimes and learn points here and there about survival efforts, how and whys. Heck, you never know when your might need to know/consider even the tiniest thing. Life lessons.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoy most organ meats- except kidneys (couldn't get around the slight tang of urea or whatever that taste is).
I have eaten cuy (guinea pig)... it's not bad as Shake N Bake or BBQ although a little on the greasy side.
My mother was French, and we never had any kind of pepper in our meals; not black pepper, not bell peppers, and certainly not chilies. I was 18 when I tasted my first taco and said "where have you been all my life?"

Most people are horrified by the thought of someone eating horse or donkey; but that's what they were originally domesticated for. I've never had either, but I'm not averse to trying it. I am a lot more upset at the idea of people eating dogs- who were always hunting companions and may even be partly responsible for humans achieving the first steps toward civilization.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby had camel once over in the middle east. He said it was good, but greasy.

I'd try cuy. The suckers were domesticated as food animals so they should taste good.

Pheasant is my favorite bird. My great aunt makes a fried pheasant and gravy that is awesome.