Digging up my septic so it can be pumped. ARGH!!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FOUND IT!!! :thumbsup I have an old septic and my father in law didn't take care of it before be got in the house 6 yrs ago. I am having pumped just in case this yr. We are no longer putting our toilet paper down it and our washer and kitchen sink are on grey water now. We should be good after this for a LONG TIME. Thank you all for the support I am going to lay donw now and take a long nap. AWWW!!! 5 hrs of digging WHAT THE!! Last time I did that was in the army. Don't miss it at all. Don

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Septic tanks do have to be pumped periodically. How often depends on a lot of things. A septic tank typically has two chambers, one chamber collects solids and works anaerobically with bacteria digesting the solid waste. However, there are still solids left over. Eventually the solids will fill the tank and then fill whatever is at the end of the discharge from the tank, often a leach field. Once the leach field fills with solid then your system has failed.

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
May I suggest putting a cap on the hole of the septic tank that the lid willl fit on. It will leave the cap even with the ground. That way you won't have to dig anymore. After doing extensive digging once in MA, I had bought one! I pump ours every three years whether it needs it or not. Figure I am saving money!

Monitor your usage. Pump after 3 years and if it really didn't need it, wait 4 years, etc. The cost of replacing a leach field or having to put in another system because the city/county changed what you can put it . . . . . . $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am for sure going to build something so I don't have to dig in the future. That is for sure. As for the pumping. I am in the same boat with you. Cheaper to pump it that replace a 10,000 septic system maybe. I figure pump every 4 yrs for 3-400.00 I should be fine for the rest of my life even if I spend 4000.00 over my life time in pumping fees. :) Sorry my home is my home not an investment. :) I believe using your home as an asset is a joke. Thank you all for the ideas and input

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After hubby poked around and poked around and refused to listen to where I said it was-he dug several "test" holes I went out with a metal rod (I think it is rebar) poked in the ground twice and the second poke rang out! Told ya hon! ;) then I paced off a ways poked again and on the third poke found the second tank lid.
I tried to tell him I grew up here and watched Dad dig for it twice.. This poor house had 9 people living in it while I was growing up.. 7 of them us gals! :ep I am surprised that it didn't need to be done more often!
I'm just glad my memory was correct! other wise I would have had to get the metal detector out! and admit I might be "mistaken" I mean that is what I got it for.. (when we found out that our yard is just full of junk... everywhere... so not much fun to "treasure hunt" with it)

Oh and a good hint on where your tank might be if you are not sure.. just crawl under the house(or go in the basement) and follow the pipe to the foundation wall. That is what we had to do with my mothers new house.. the tank just wasn't where it was marked on the paperwork.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$3-400

I was pumped last year and it was $220. And I thought that was high :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
He's here right now pumping. I'll let you all know how much. Thanks Don

I'm back yup 350.00 ARGH!!! would have been 500 if I had them dig up the tank. Atleast that makes me feel some what bettah. That is one of the probs living on this island. Things are expensive but then again that is why I can get paid what I do too. So it is the pros and cons. Thank you all for the input

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The previous owners of our house added a room and garage addition and the county forced them to add a larger septic system since more people could live in the house and use the facilities. They went with a dual tank system. They left the old tank and added a new one. We switch between tanks every 6 months. They also stepped up the leech bed...it's huge...or at least to what I've seen of others it's huge!!
According to them, it'll never need to be pumped as long as we avoid dumping fats/grease and don't go overboard with the TP or feminine products. We've been here almost 4 years and haven't pumped yet.

Hopefully their info was correct and we won't have any issues!!:idunno

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
The previous owners of our house added a room and garage addition and the county forced them to add a larger septic system since more people could live in the house and use the facilities. They went with a dual tank system. They left the old tank and added a new one. We switch between tanks every 6 months. They also stepped up the leech bed...it's huge...or at least to what I've seen of others it's huge!!
According to them, it'll never need to be pumped as long as we avoid dumping fats/grease and don't go overboard with the TP or feminine products. We've been here almost 4 years and haven't pumped yet.

Hopefully their info was correct and we won't have any issues!!:idunno
I hear ya There's a lot of you should and you don't need to out there. I'm just going to keep my concsiense in check with pumping. I do have another leech field but would have to have a pump put in. That would only cost me 2000.00 to do. Sounds better than 8-10 grand. Life in the country. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: yea life in the country can get nasty expensive sometimes or on an island